Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Picures/images displaying at square dimensions.

JSchu22
Beginner

Any image/picture on my television monitor is out of proportion.....the proper dimensions are disregarded and images are square-shaped. I contacted Acer and they said to reinstall the graphics driver, but that didn't work. My monitor is recognized, I'm at the recommended resolution, and I don't have any fancy settings enabled. I can use a tiny computer monitor with some other resolution setting and get pictures/images to display to dimension, but I can't for my television monitor. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I suggest you using extended display mode.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031026.htm Graphics Drivers — How To Enable Extended Desktop Mode

You may also want to check the TV settings.

If issue persists, please indicate what display panels and screen resolutions you are using. You may attach the Intel® HD Graphics report.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009476.htm Graphics Drivers — Intel® Graphics Driver Report

JSchu22
Beginner

I can't select extended display mode, there's only the television--I do not have two displays.

I checked the TV settings, and I choose to leave the Effect Light off.

Display panel = Samsung Model Code - LN32A550P3FX2A Version AA03

Screen Resolution = 1920 x 1080 (Recommended)

Orientation = Landscape

Graphics driver report attached

0 Kudos
JSchu22
Beginner

The issue lingers. Am I not supposed to use my television.....because everything was fine using my computer from 1946?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I have some suggestions:

1. Did you check Maintain Display Scaling options in Intel® HD Graphics? You may reset Intel® HD Graphics settings to default by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8.
  2. I see you are connecting via VGA; is it possible to use a digital connection (such as DVI or HDMI)? Are you connecting with a straight cable or is it some type of converter or KVM? The TV is detected as a "Generic PnP monitor", which means Windows* has not detected the correct model.
  3. From the TV settings I meant options like: screen fit, dot to dot, full pixel, overscan… Such options differ depending on the TV manufacturer.
0 Kudos
JSchu22
Beginner

1. I don't have any options under Scaling. Maintain Display Scaling is checked and cannot be changed.

2. I can connect via HDMI, but I don't have a cable. I have a straight cable for VGA taken from some little monitor.

3. If you are referring to Picture Options for TV settings, I don't have any other than color tone and size (using 16:9). If you are referring to Screen Settings, I only have screen positional adjustments (which is entirely irrelevant to this discussion). There's nothing wrong with my screen position or TV options in general.....there's everything wrong with the displaying of images. If I have an image that is 4608x3456, it will display as a perfect square.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The issue appears to be caused by the fact that Windows* does not detect the model of your TV properly (Generic PnP monitor). I suggest keeping Windows* up to date in an effort to make this change. Otherwise, it is more likely to get better results with the HDMI cable.

0 Kudos