Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Drivers Won't Update Properly - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

ipilc
Beginner

I can't seem to figure out the solution to this issue, so I come to you lovely people for help. I tried updating the proper drivers, but when I finish running the .exe file and everything is validated and unpacked I get this message: http://i.imgur.com/6HzqXU4.png http://i.imgur.com/6HzqXU4.png I'm sure there is a way around this by replacing the drivers with the new, updated ones, but I'm afraid I would royally mess things up since I wouldn't know what to do exactly. If someone can help me out, that would be fantastic.

I have an HP Envy 700-214 desktop computer running in a 64-bit architecture if that helps. Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PvanH1
Beginner

I have a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and got the same problem as you. I hope there is a fix for this problem.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Itomicbomb, I am sorry about your issue, but it seems like you system does not allow the installation of the driver.

I was not able to see the picture attached to the post, so could you please let me know which is the error you are getting?

Would you please let me know which graphic driver are you trying to install?

We always recommend customer to install drivers provided by the system manufacture, in your case HP. However you are free to try our drivers. Just remember that our drivers are generic drivers and they are made for Intel Motherboards, but you can try them. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType= https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=

0 Kudos
ipilc
Beginner

Here is the error I am receiving below. The graphic driver I'm trying to install is called: "Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit"

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information.

It looks like HP is not letting you install the generic driver. Please check the URL below, it will give you some recommendations on this behavior and it will also show you how to install the driver manually.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm?wapkw=022355 Graphics — Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

0 Kudos
ipilc
Beginner

I tried manually installing it but it tells me that the drivers are already updated when that's clearly not the case. My driver version is 10.18.10.3379 and the update date is 12/20/2013. The latest drivers for the exact same graphics card is 15.33.18.64.3496 and the update date is 03/11/2014, yet it's telling me that I have the latest drivers installed, how can that be?

Is there a way to uninstall it, and in VGA mode to install the new drivers? Can it be done without buying a new graphics card to put in in the mean time?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ itomicbomb, First download the latest driver in "zip" format. Extract it to a folder on your desktop, then follow these steps precisely.

1. Be sure you have administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to

13.Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

15.Click "OK"

16. Click "Next"

Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close"

Reboot.

0 Kudos
ipilc
Beginner

Finally, this did the trick, thank you.

0 Kudos
JCarl11
Beginner

Hi all,

1. While a correct answer, it is not the only answer - and you may need a more involved and technical answer if this one fails.
  2. The Problem with Windows is that the DRIVERS ARE CACHED.
  3. The BEST way to fool Windows into accepting defeat (its defeat - your win!) is to do the following:

PRE-STEPS

(1) Download the NEWEST, applicable INTEL HD driver for your device. I won't provide help on this - this is what the forums and tools on Intel are for.

(2) UTILIZING A SPECIFIC UNZIP PROGRAM (I use 7z), I EXTRACT THE DRIVER CONTENT PACKAGE INTO A DIRECTORY ON MY DESKTOP (E.G. 'Desktop\IntelHD\).

(3) If you do not do this, and you somehow do not have internet connectivity, when you are nearly through with this procedure, you will be STUCK as you'll have no local driver sources. You will enjoy (maybe even not - by way of NO video) your very minimal resolution display until you do the # 2 in this pre-step section.

MAIN STEPS

(0) Clean boot - no other system problems - system is quiet (3mins after login) - INTEL INF'S FOR MOTHERBOARD AND CHIPSET ALREADY INSTALLED AND WORKING 100%. WINDOWS PATCHES APPLIED TO CURRENT DAY.

(1) Go into Device Manager (You are Logged in as Administrator, RIGHT?)

(2) UNDER DISPLAY ADAPTERS, Select the Display (Intel HD 4XXX)

(3) Right Click, Properties (OF THE INTEL HD 4XXX)

(4) New Modal Dialog displays, "Intel HD Graphics 4000 Properties"

(5) In this dialog, four tabs exist (you may have less or more, but these are the typical): GENERAL | DRIVER | DETAILS | RESOURCES

(6) Select DRIVER Tab

---- STOP ---- Note your "Driver Version: xx.yy.zz.aaaa" - for later. This is your OLD driver version. This will be updated to a HIGHER driver version when you're done. -- CONTINUE ---

(7) Four Buttons on Left Side from Top to Bottom: DRIVER DETAILS | UPDATE DRIVER | ROLL BACK DRIVER | DISABLE | UNINSTALL

(8) Select UNINSTALL (Advanced)

(9) New Modal Dialog displays, "Confirm Device Uninstall"

(10) Note the CHECK BOX - "DELETE THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR THIS DEVICE." Check this. VERY IMPORTANT.

(11) Windows will prompt, "Uninstalling the device."

(12) The Screen MAY flash blank - don't panic, it will come back LOW RES.

(13) DIALOG: "System Settings Change", text: "To finish removing your hardware, you must restart your computer." Click YES.

(14) Windows restarts IN LOW RES MODE.

(15) Login to Windows (As Administrator, Right?)

(16) In Device Manager, Under DISPLAY ADAPTERS, Select "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

--- STOP ---- If you do not see STANDARD VGA GRAPHICS ADAPTER - reboot, try again. Windows is winning. I don't much know what beyond this point you can try other than a clean install with previously injected drivers. Good Luck and May the Force Be With You if you do not see STANDARD VGA GRAPHICS ADAPTER HERE. --- CONTINUE ---

(17) Right click the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter", select "Update Driver Software..." - usually the first on the right click menu.

(18) New Windows Dialog - "Updated Driver Software - Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

(19) Windows asks, "How do you want to search for driver software?"

--- STOP --- This is where you'll probably mess up if you don't think twice. Windows is VERY TOUCHY with these easy-click (aka easy-miss) dialogs. Be careful what you click. --- CONTINUE ---

(20) Select "Browse My Computer For Driver Software [Locate and Install Driver Software Manually]" (SECOND OPTION, on the BOTTOM)

(21) New Windows Dialog - "Update Driver Software - Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

--- STOP --- This is where you'll probably mess up if you don't think twice. Windows is VERY TOUCHY with these easy-click (aka easy-miss) dialogs. Be careful what you click. --- CONTINUE ---

(22) Select the [X] include subfolders SELECTION if it is not already selected.

(23) In the BROWSE selection box, select the BROWSE button.

(24) Point to your zip-extracted location you extract the Intel Driver (mine was c:\users\me\desktop\intelhd\)

(25) Hit Next and LET THE MAGIC BEGIN

(26) The screen MAY GO BLACK.

(27) You MAY or MAY NOT be in high res (again).

(28) You WILL be asked to reboot. Do so.

VALIDATING THIS ALL WORKED

(1) Did Windows Reboot? No [b/B]SOD?

(2) High Resolution?

(3) Open Device Manager

(4) Verify the DISPLAY ADAPTER listed (you may have more than one in your system) is INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4000

(5) You may also subsequently validate that the DRIVER VERSION has incremented.

I hope this helps. I know it took me working at Microsoft to know this kind of stuff.

You're welcome.

0 Kudos