Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

v1 Modular Server - Compute Module Boot Issues

FSant12
Beginner

We have a MFSYS25 v1 that has is having sporadic issues when we reboot a compute module. Sometimes when a compute module reboots (all of them are MFS5520VI) it can't find a boot device. The previous admin would reboot the entire chassis to resolve this issue. The chassis is running firmware version 6.10.

I have seen it on the v2 chassis that sometimes when you do a firmware update it can't find the boot device for a compute module. In that case the SCM affinity flips to SCM2 even though none of the modular servers we use have a second SCM. Setting it back to normal fixes it for the time being. I haven't been able to confirm that this is the same issue on this chassis because we don't have this issue every time we reboot.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be interested in hearing them as official support for this model has ended.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I've seen that happen when the storage pool that hosts the boot drive, has drives with mismatched models or firmware. check the storage configuration, see what drives you have in that pool.

0 Kudos
FSant12
Beginner

I checked the drives and all of them are the same model and firmware.

Seagate ST9300603SS

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Frank -

no easy fix, then. I would next suspect that the SCM might be failing, but if it's more than three years old, you would be out of warranty. does the GUI show you the manufacture date of the SCM?

0 Kudos
FSant12
Beginner

It does and it is out of warranty. The date on the SCM is from January of 2010.

0 Kudos