Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

I looked up my CPU in the Intel Warranty Center and got no result. Does this mean my CPU is OEM?

JGodd
Beginner

I bought a CPU off Ebay which said it was Retail: In the box. When I received the CPU, it was in a plastic sleeve and nothing else.

I contacted the seller about it and they told me they got rid of the box to save on shipping. I tried looking up the CPU in Intel's Warranty Center and it did not find my FPO and ATPO numbers.

Does this mean the CPU is OEM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

The seller lied about getting "rid of the box to save on shipping," a common lie on both ebay and Amazon Marketplace. The CPU was probably pulled from a retired PC. I bought a used CPU on Amazon Marketplace which was as clean as new, though the seller was honest and admitted that it was pulled from a Dell.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

The seller lied about getting "rid of the box to save on shipping," a common lie on both ebay and Amazon Marketplace. The CPU was probably pulled from a retired PC. I bought a used CPU on Amazon Marketplace which was as clean as new, though the seller was honest and admitted that it was pulled from a Dell.

0 Kudos
JGodd
Beginner

I found another cpu I could look up in the warranty database and it showed a 3 year warranty. So the chip is definitely an OEM chip.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Shakabuku:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Regarding the warranty of the products, in order to claim it, only the original owner of the device is able to do this.

Also, as you probably know, OEM processors are not covered by Intel in the warranty.

Here you can find with your location, authorized resellers from Intel that certainly will provide you with a CPU with warranty coverage.

http://locate.intel.com/ Intel® Technology Providers Locator

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos