Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Graphic driver on new Inspiron 15, 5000 series crashes regularly

idata
Employee

I bought this new laptop and at least once, usually more times a day the graphic driver crashes and recovers again. It can be quite interrupting and should not happen in a new laptop.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
38 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Sunny2000,

Could you please provide us with the following:

• Driver version installed. Go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.
  • Do you know what is the task/activity that triggers the issue?
  • Operating system.
  • Have you contacted your computer manufacturer in regard to this matter? It's possible that your computer requires a customized driver that it might provide a fix for issue like this one.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy_Intel,

Sorry, I was away for a few days.

It is a brand new laptop with Windows 10, the driver information is:

Intel (R) HD Graphics 520

Version 20.19.15.4300

It does not seem to be triggered by anything, I can be typing and all of a sudden it happens.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please install the following driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen].

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Amy,

I tried and while installing I got this message and the installation aborted:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

Any other suggestions?

Dagmar

PS: It just crashed again as I was typing
0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Sunny2000 wrote:

I bought this new laptop and at least once, usually more times a day the graphic driver crashes and recovers again. It can be quite interrupting and should not happen in a new laptop.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dagmar,

Who is the Manufacturer of the Motherboard? Better yet, download from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer.… Version 8.5c and install and run it.

Similar to what I just did.

Also you can download from : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?cid=cim:ggl Intel® Driver Update Utility After you download it, right-click and click Run as administrator. This utility will give you the exact upgrades you need.

Note: You need 8 GBs of Ram or more to run Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit without crashing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had the Intel Driver Utility already installed and everything is up to date. Still crashing.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

Make sure that Automatically restart is not checked, under System Failure. This will allow you to take a Digital Picture of the Screen with a Digital Camera and attach the image as a Jpeg file.

The computer that I am on with Intel On-board Graphics on the motherboard does not crash. I always need to uninstall the Graphics, every time I receive a new Microsoft Board, in order to remove Windows.old from the File System. I use Display Graphics Uninstaller from WagnardMobile. I was told about this tool by Asus Technical Support.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144 Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.1.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Here is an example of a Blue Screen, from a computer with Nvidia Graphics.

If you have an HD Camera, as I do, the file size may be too large. In this case, view it on your computer, and take a PrtScrn Snapshot and save it in Paint as a Jpeg File. That is what I needed to do.

This will help Intel to pinpoint the problem.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Sunny2000, that message indicates that your computer manufacturer does not allow the installation of generic Intel video drives. You are required to install drivers from your computer manufacturer, however, you may try forcing the installation of Intel generic drivers by performing manual procedure, see here for instructions: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows.... these instructions should work ok on Windows® 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not getting a blue screen, this is what happens:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Amy, that link get's me to a page that says for Windows 8, I have Windows 10?

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

The reason that you can't install the Intel's Graphics Driver for Windows 10, is that you upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with the drivers from Windows 8.1 still installed. Those drivers need to be removed, using the Tool I previously mentioned from WagnardMobile. Then install the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10. Download the Graphic Driver for Windows 10, prior to removing the current drivers using Windows Safe Mode.

Use msconfig to go into Safe Mode, in order to run Display Driver Uninstaller. Don't make the boot settings permanent.

Create a sub-folder of the Folder that you download Display Driver Uninstaller in. Call it DDU, Then simply Unzip the program into the folder. This will help it organized and help you find it in Safe Mode.

After you are in Safe Mode and before you run Display Driver Uninstaller, made sure that Safe boot, isn't still checked. If it is uncheck it. Click Apply then OK. Exit without restarting the computer, at this time. Display Driver Uninstaller restarts the computer automatically, otherwise, you will get a Black Screen.

After restarting the computer, install the Windows 10 Intel Graphics Drivers. Intel's Windows 10 Graphic Drivers do not remove Windows 8.1 Graphic Drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But I did not upgrade to from Windows 8 to Windows 10, I bought the laptop with Windows 10 installed. It was a brand new laptop. Now I am confused.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

It does not hurt to use the Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstall the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10 from this operating system. Especially if you use a program like Acronis True Image.If it works great, if it doesn't, just restore the Image. You might have purchased the Laptop with Windows 10 installed, but the Manufacturer, may have installed the wrong version of the Intel Graphics.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, I've done it all. It is still crashing 😞

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

Is it crashing when you are idle? Or when you are doing work?

I have not had any crashes involving Intel Graphics. Only missing the Mouse Pointer from the Boot Manager when Intel Graphics are installed.

What is the Intel CPU Processor installed?

In the Laptop Computer, is an Intel Graphics Card for Laptops installed, or is the Graphics Chip mounted to the Motherboard?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe it only crashes when I am doing work.

Sorry, I do not understand your question: What is the Intel CPU Processor installed?

I haven't opened up the laptop not to lose warranty, so I do not know what kind of Graphics card is installed.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

Use Belarc Advisor to give you the information.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer.…

8.5c is the latest.

Not answering from my Computer with Intel Graphics.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've done that before, have a look further up this thread 😉

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Sunny2000 wrote:

I've done that before, have a look further up this thread 😉

Hi Dagmar,

Sorry about that. http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz) Specifications

Have you installed all the extra Graphics Interface that Windows 10 Update sends out?

Basically, I have been using the Laptop to record from TV Stations to time shift the programs to watch at a later date and experience no crashes.

BelArc shows that mine, is a Display Adapter rather than a On Board Graphics Chip for the Laptop.

msinfo32 shows the above information.

By the way, my Intel Graphic Drivers are different from yours, so I cannot say, that your Intel Graphics Driver, has a bug or doesn't have a bug. I am using Windows Defender as the Anti-Virus on my computer.

Are you using Windows Defender or a different Anti-Virus program?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a display adapter, not a chip

I am using Norton Internet Security.

0 Kudos