Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Skylake on Windows 10, Netflix app causes whole computer to stutter

PTan7
Beginner

Hi,

I have a relatively new Skylake machine that I built a few months ago (Core i5 6600 in a Shuttle SH170R6 case, with the H170 chipset). I am using the integrated Intel graphics (HD Graphics 530) with the latest drivers at the time I'm posting this (15.45.16.4627). I am currently running Windows 10 with the Creators Update, but I was also experiencing the same issue with the Anniversary Update.

When I try to watch Netflix using the "Metro"/UWP Netflix app, or in Microsoft Edge, the computer is experiencing a stuttering issue every 1 or 2 seconds, consistently while the video is playing. It is not just the video that is stuttering; if I move the mouse while the video is playing, the mouse cursor also stutters, so I know it is not a network bandwidth issue. The strange part is that it does not occur with any other video content, such as Flash or playing videos locally. It also does not occur if I watch Netflix through Google Chrome.

I don't know if this is an issue with the Intel graphics drivers, but I searched online and came across a few posts where people have experienced the issue on other graphics cards, and a subsequent driver update fixed the issue. I have already tried booting Windows with a "clean boot" and I still have the issue.

I should also note that the monitor I am using is from my old 2008 Mac Pro, an Apple Cinema Display with a single link DVI connector. The Shuttle case only has HDMI and DisplayPort, so I am currently using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connect the monitor. I have also tried an HDMI to DVI adapter and experienced the same issue. I know that the monitor does not support HDCP, if that makes a difference. I also did not experience the issue when the same monitor was connected to my Mac Pro, with DVI, running Windows 10 Anniversary in Boot Camp, although it was connected to an ATI graphics card in that machine.

Does anyone have any other things that I can check to try to fix the issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DualShock,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Is it possible for you to try a monitor where you can connect a HDMI from the Shutter to the monitor instead of using any converter or adapter? If not, that is understandable.

When using Netflix on those specifics browsers can you change the resolution and refresh rate to a lower refresh rate to see if there is any difference.

To open the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel follow this steps:

Right-click the Desktop (or press Ctrl Alt F12) and select Graphics properties.

Click Display.

You will see the resolution and refresh rate, try changing that to see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
PTan7
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the help. I don't have another computer monitor with HDMI or DisplayPort, but I can connect my TV to test.

On my monitor I tested 1920 x 1200 (native resolution of monitor), 1680 x 1050, and 1440 x 900. I still experienced the stutter on each. The monitor only has 2 supported refresh rates, 59 Hz and 60 Hz, and the stuttering occurs on both, for all tested resolutions.

I'll test with my TV later on and report back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information and please let me know how it goes after trying with your TV, if the issue still persists, I will really appreciate if you could fill out the information at the following link in order to start an investigation.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Please don't forget to attach the system information with the latest graphics driver installed:

Intel SSU (System Support Utility) (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility😞

Download Intel® System Support Utility
  1. Download the utility
  2. Run the exe and select 'Scan'
  3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Please attach the report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow the steps here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

DxDiag Instructions:
  1. Click on the "Start Menu" -> Type "DxDiag" -> Press "Enter" -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
  2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click "Save All Information" -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
  3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

DispDiag Instructions:
  1. Click on the "Start Menu" -> Type "cmd" -> Then a command shell window will open
  2. In the command shell, type "dispdiag –out %homepath%\Desktop\DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat" -> The command shell will output something similar to "Dump File: C:\Users\[username]\DispDiag-# -# -# -# .dat"
  3. Locate the .dat file on your desktop and include DispDiag-Intel-Issue.dat in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
PTan7
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks again for your help. I was able to test my TV connected to my computer via HDMI, and the stuttering issue did not occur. It is a relatively old Sony Bravia that supports 1360 x 768.

Therefore it appears (in my case) that the Intel graphics drivers do not support the use of adapters when connecting monitors. Is this a known issue for Intel graphics drivers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information and for the time you have taken to do this test.

In this case, Intel does not validate any adapters with the Intel graphics, with some adapters or converters you can see on your TV certain resolutions but you may not have the resolution you desire or you can have other issues that the graphics driver will not fix.

Intel recommends using straight connection to get the best performance of the graphics.

At this point, you can try active adapters but still we cannot guarantee full functionality but we have seen some customers reporting positive result with active adapters.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos