Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

Wifi Direct setup

pwhel1
Beginner

so i am looking into trying to use Wifi Direct to connect my smart phone with my laptop. I have a windows 10 laptop with an intel Wireless card , and when i run ipconfig /all from cmd prompt

i see a Wifi direct virtual adapter listed. i followed the instructions i found online, and updated the drivers for the card, updated the version of intel pro set wireless and install intel wifi dashboard.

but when i open the dashboard no options for wifi direct come up. in fact no real options of any kind come up. it is installing the full version of the dashboard and NOT the lite version.

but Wifi direct is not available.

please advise. when i open network and sharing centre and go to change adapter settings there is no local area connection displayed referencing the wifi direct apapter. but ipconfig says there is one there.

please advise

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Celtic_Spike,

We understand that you want to know about WiFi Direct functionality of Intel® Wireless Adapters in Windows® 10.

In this case, Intel® WiFi Dashboard Software will not be useful. The last version was released back in 2013 for Windows* 7 and 8. Some of its functions have been deprecated and we cannot guarantee its functionality in current configurations.

Windows 10 already includes native support for WiFi direct, Intel no longer provides tools or software to establish connections. From the adapter's side, we can confirm that current adapters and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/72252/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 are compatible with WiFi Direct.

In our best effort, we would like to let you know that the normal way to detect WiFi Direct devices in Windows 10 is to go to: Settings -> Devices -> Connected Devices -> Add a device.

Just keep in mind that Windows may not include the tools to perform all the actions possible with WiFi Direct. We recommend you to check with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Microsoft Support if the OS has built in tools for the tasks you require (file transfer, sharing, etc.), or if you will need 3rd party tools for this.

Note: 3rd party links are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos