Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

Kensington SD 4600p USB-C Dockingstation 4k60Hz problems with HD 515

idata
Employee

As an owner of a Kensington SD 4600p USB-C Dockingstation I experience problems connecting my 4k60Hz capable TV to Intel HD515 Graphics. While the dockingstation and TV support 4k60Hz, the Intel Control Panel just gives me the 30Hz option.

Hardware involved:

SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Pro S with Intel HD515

Kensington SD 4600p USB-C Dockingstation (4k60Hz capable)

SONY XD80 43" TV (4k60Hz capable)

What I want to achieve:

A 4k60Hz connection between the Tablet and TV by means of the dockingstation.

Problem:

I can only select 30 HZin Intel Control Panel.

What I tested so far:

I tested the TV and HDMI cables with another PC (Nvidia GPU) and 4k60Hz works perfect there.

I followed Kensingtons suggestions given on their support page for the dockingstation concerning the problem, but had no success.

I tested another 4k Monitor with Diplayport, but had no success, either. It´s not recognised.

What I suspect to be the problems cause:

As the TV is 10bit and Intels driver seems to give 10bit output by default if it´s supported, I think there is not enough bandwidth left with HDMI 2.0 to support 60Hz. Chroma 4:4:4 seems to be active by default, too, and that and the 10bit colour exceeds HSMI 2.0s bandwith capabilities. When driving the TV with the Nvidia GPU I had to choose between 10bit or Chroma 4:4:4 at 60 Hz, both is only possible with Diplayport 1.2 or at 30 Hz.

Another possibility could be that Samsung only allows their tailored graphics driver on the tablet, maybe they restricted 4k to 30Hz. I wasn´t able to install Intels original driver by the method you give on your support page. It always says it´s not compatible. Is there another way to do this?

What Intel can do:

If you could confirm my assumption or give some info on that, it would be of great help to me. There are so much possibilities for such an error with USB-C and DP Alt. mode and all that stuff, but I´m trieing to sort it out between Intel, Kensington and Samsung.

Giving options in your Control Panel to choose output Colour Depth (bpc) and chroma would be of very great help, too. Such options are standard with graphics vendors except for Intel. With Displayport 1.2 you don´t have that problem, because of the slightly higher bandwidth.

Please have a look at this topic, as it affects nearly every USB-C device without descrete graphics (nearly all of them) in combination with a 10bit display over HDMI 2.0 (every HDR TV on the market). It seems to be correlated to the issues people experience with DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 adapters and your graphic solutions. (see the various threads about this).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Receptor,

I understand you are connecting a Sony* TV to your Samsung* Galaxy Tab, but you are not getting 4K@60Hz.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Please also attach the Intel® Graphics Driver Report. this link will show you how to generate it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Fred,

Meanwhile I tested the custom resolutions given in the DP to HDMI adapter related threads, but had no success with that, either.

In another thread about a USB-C monitor advice was given to disable USB ports to free up bandwidth. That is similar to what Kensington suggests concerning the dockingstation. Sadly it didn´t help my issue.

Frankly, the issue may be caused by Samsung, Kensington or Intel so I appreciate your efforts and hope we can isolate the cause.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Receptor,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

The graphics controller that comes in your Samsung* Galaxy TabPro S supports 3840x2160@60Hz through Displayport* port. I did not find anything unusual in the reports you sent to me. All that I can think of is that Samsung* may have put some type of limitation when it comes to the refresh rate you are trying to reach.

The best option would be checking directly with Samsung* which is the highest screen resolution and refresh rate you can get from the USB Type-C that comes in your Samsung* Galaxy TabPro S. Samsung* should be able to let you know if they have tested/validated that specific Kensington* docking station for your system. This link will give you their contact information http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/ http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Fred,

today I got a call from Samsung support and they confirmed that the Galaxy TabPro S has only 30HZ capabilities in 4K.

They only implemented HDMI 1.4 / DP 1.1 due to battery life concerns. The support guy said, that if they send 4K60Hz out that USB-C port battery life would be half. I´m just wondering: Do you think that´s correct?

As the tablet itself is quite fantastic, I tend to keep it anyways. Samsung on their side could have communicated this fact more clearly for sure. Their support agreed and is going to try to do so.

THX for your time, Fred, on an issue you didn´t cause. If you know of any way to bypass Samsungs limitation via driver or software, please let me know.

Regards!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Receptor,

I am glad to hear you were able to find the reason why you are not being able to get 4K@60Hz.

Depending on how Samsung* built the computer then the features that will require more power. Since Samsung* limited the refresh rate to 30Hz when they built the computer this is a setting we cannot bypass.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos