Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

HD4400 Lenovo U430p Win10 Creators PROBLEM when close lid

idata
Employee

Another Win10 Creators problem thread.....

PROBLEM: When I close the lid on my Lenovo U430p then open the lid, all the open windows on my desktop get resized and re-positioned to the left of the screen.

Tried downgrading to official drivers from Lenovo site 19.18.13.5324

Tried updating manually to latest INTEL version 20.19.15.4624

So that's three different versions that all have the same problem.....

Lenovo site has no other BIOS or other updates that I don't already have.

Any comments or solutions?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

/thread/77761 Default level information for reporting Graphics issues

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

All open windows get resized and moved to left side of screen when close laptop lid and open lid. Appears that the resolution is changing when closing lid, then changes back when open lid.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo U430P

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No, Intel only.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP (laptop)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

NA

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_397817AA&REV_0B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_397817AA

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 version 1073 (OS build 15063.138)

<td style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the information.

I have one more question, did the laptop use to exhibit this behavior before the creators update?

I also strongly recommend to take a look at /thread/102871 this thread.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, this has NEVER happened for all of the time I have had this laptop (several years). It only started when I updated to Win10 Creators.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you to post this on the thread shared before as it seems to be the same issue:

/thread/102871 NUC6i7KYK: Display Sleep, Windows Shrink & Migrate to Upper-left Corner of Display

You can copy the reports and the information that you provided in this thread.

Once new information is available it will be posted there.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is not the same problem. That topic is regarding different hardware, multiple monitors, and putting computer to sleep.

I am NOT putting my computer to sleep. I am only closing the lid. The computer stays awake.

I have just tried putting my laptop to sleep manually and the window resizing and re-positioning does NOT happen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tzr916,

The thread was suggested because of the issue with the windows going to the left.

Can you please provide a picture showing the power plan you have selected and the actions that the system takes when closing the lid?

Once I have the information I will send all of this to the appropriate team.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

Thank you for the information.

I will send this to the appropriate team and will update this thread once I have further information.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tzr916,

Can you please try replicating the issue but http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html removing the Intel® HD Graphics 4400 driver so only the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is listed under Display Devices?

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I uninstalled Intel Graphics driver from control panel programs and features. Same exact issue is still happening..... But it appears there is still an Intel Driver installed - version 20.19.15.4531

How do I completely remove the Intel Drivers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I went to Device Manager and uninstalled (also checking the box to remove driver).

Rebooted.

After computer rebooted the Device Manager listed a generic VGA controller with an exclamation, but Win10 automatically reinstalled the Intel driver version 20.19.15.4531 again while I was sitting there watching the Device Manager!

So apparently it is IMPOSSIBLE to run Win10 without some version of the Intel driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tzr916,

Please try the following:
  1. Disconnect the laptop from the Internet.
  2. Uninstall the driver.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Try to replicate.
During the process, please don't connect the computer to the Internet until you finish testing, this to avoid Windows Updates from installing the driver again.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi tzr916,

Please try the following:
  1. Disconnect the laptop from the Internet.
  2. Uninstall the driver.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Try to replicate.
During the process, please don't connect the computer to the Internet until you finish testing, this to avoid Windows Updates from installing the driver again.

Best Regards,

JC

Unfortunately, disconnecting from internet (disabled wireless in Device Manager) did not prevent Win10 from re-installing the Intel Driver after restarting the computer. Red X in system tray and no internet, yet Wind10 still re-installed the Intel Driver!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tzr916,

I am sorry to hear that.

There is one more configuration that you can try to prevent the driver from being installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2500967/how-to-stop-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers How to stop Windows 7 automatically installing drivers > Method 2: Configure group policy settings.

Please remember to revert the changes once you have finished testing, otherwise, drivers won't be automatically installed.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi tzr916,

I am sorry to hear that.

There is one more configuration that you can try to prevent the driver from being installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2500967/how-to-stop-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers How to stop Windows 7 automatically installing drivers> Method 2: Configure group policy settings.

Please remember to revert the changes once you have finished testing, otherwise, drivers won't be automatically installed.

Regards,

JC

That article applies to Win7.

Win10 HOME does not have group policy editor.

Tried the other method and it did not prevent the driver from being re-installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tzr916,

For me to further assist you, I need you to try the following:

The article also applies to Windows® 10, there is a workaround to get GP editor installed on your system:

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/ How To Enable Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.Msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

You can also try uninstalling the graphics every time it is automatically installed until the driver is not reinstalled anymore, this because Windows keeps a registry entry after a driver installation, this basically means that every time a driver is updated, the old version will be stored in a registry entry so you may uninstall X times the amount of times you updated the driver.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi tzr916,

For me to further assist you, I need you to try the following:

The article also applies to Windows® 10, there is a workaround to get GP editor installed on your system:

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/ How To Enable Group Policy Editor (Gpedit.Msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

You can also try uninstalling the graphics every time it is automatically installed until the driver is not reinstalled anymore, this because Windows keeps a registry entry after a driver installation, this basically means that every time a driver is updated, the old version will be stored in a registry entry so you may uninstall X times the amount of times you updated the driver.

Best Regards,

JC

Installed gpedit per link. Run gpedit but there is no such thing as "Device Installation, and then click Device Installation Restrictions" under "Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tzr916,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Before I do that.....

I uninstalled the Intel Driver in Device Manager and then when it asked me if I want to restart, I said NO.

In this state (without restart), the problem does NOT happen! All the windows stay in place and do not resize when closing the lid!

As soon as I restart, the Intel driver/software gets re-installed and back to having the problem.

0 Kudos