Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Use GTX 1070 for a triple display configuration and HD 4600 for 2 additional displays?! Bad FPS in DCS World!

RBuss
Novice

Hi together,

I have an issue which came up suddenly after everything was running perfect up to now.

My Nvidia GTX 1070 has 3x27" WQHD displays connected. In DCS World (Flight Simulator from Eagle Dynamics) it is possible to export cockpit instruments to other external displays. So did I by using 2x8" displays. Unfortunately the GTX only can drive 4 displays max. So I choose to use my HD 4600 iGPU from my i7 4790K. This worked very good and I didn´t recognise any different FPS by using the two cards together compared to the single GTX. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Edition and the trouble started. The frames were capped at 29 FPS (59/2) independend on the settings. When I´m in the cockpit and have a look into the sky the frames went up to 75. I used to have 120+ doing this. The frames are all multiples of the frequencies of the displays (27"=75Hz, 8"=59Hz). Then I choose to go bak to Windows 10 Anniversary. Problem was solved. Now it came back without updating Windows 10 to Creators. I checked everything in regards to Vsync settings (DSR, drivers etc.). Nothing helped. With DDU I did fresh installations of the graphics drivers (both, Nvidia and intel) and figured out everything is good (except of missing 2 displays) until I install the intel driver (the latest from the intel site, 15.40.34.4624).

I´m out of ideas after searching the internet for 4 days now. Any help guiding me into the right direction is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Xoxen

Here are some of my specs: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 16GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RBuss
Novice

Dear Intel Team,

finally I made a fresh Windows 10 Installation and running DCS World on one Display ended up in very high FPS. Changing to 3 Screens (all connected to the Nvidia) reduced the FPS into a reasonable range, still high. Adding the 2 small screens for the MFCD export brought up the same bad FPS I had before the new installation (used an older Intel driver but Windows immidiately installed the new one as I had to turn on the internet connection to start the game). So it is definitely a Windows/Nvidia/Intel/Game combination thing. Finally I took the decision to switch off the HD 4600 and ordered a GTX 1030 to do the same job. I will post the outcome once I installed it nevertheless it will not be of any interest for intel users anymore.

Thanks for the help you gave to me. It helped me to sort out the problem even though I was not able to get rid of it. Maybe a newer driver will help or a Windows update or a game update.

Best regards,

Xoxen

Edit: The GTX 1030 just arrived. I installed it and the Nvidia driver immidiately acknowledged the card. FPS are back where they are used to be. Finally solved with a little investment. I thought I could avoid this but it´s worth me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Xoxen,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please bear in mind that On April 11, 2017, Microsoft began the https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/25/windows-10-creators-update-rollout-first-phase-update/ Windows®10 Creators Update rollout. Microsoft recommends—unless you're an advanced user who is prepared to work through some issues—that you wait until the Windows 10 Creators Update is automatically offered.

You can participate in the Microsoft community for Windows Updates and follow Creators Update issues.

Now, do you remember what Intel® graphics driver version you had installed before you got this problem.

You can also try the driver provided by ASUS, you can download it here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PRO_GAMER/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PRO_GAMER/HelpDesk_Download/

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
RBuss
Novice

Hi Ivan,

many thanks for your anyswer. Indeed Creators Edition is not officially out. For that reason after I had my first problems I went back to Anniversary Edition which solved my problems for at least 2 months. Now I´m not sure if it was a Windows or a game update which let my frames drop. But I didn´t update to Creators again, I can exclude this. In the meantime I updated again just as a trial but also failed.

The driver I used before I updated already was the newest one. But I tried this as well to use an older version but without success. Actually I am capped at 13 FPS so all my experiments made it even worse 🙂

I would call myself an experienced user so I open to do things which are more complicated. But actually I´m out of ideas as mentioned. So if you have something in your backhand it´ll be great.

Attached you find the report out of the System Support Utility and the dxdiag output. Maybe this provides you with helpful information.

Thanks again and have a great day,

Xoxen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Xoxen,

The displays you have them as extended, clone or collage?

This seems to be an isolated issue, have you tried with a system restored to a previous date if it is possible?

What is the game that you're playing? Is it Flight Simulator from Eagle Dynamics?

Try updating your motherboard BIOS as well.

You can also try to run a malware program in case a malware is causing the issue but it will be under your own responsibility to run it because we don't support malware issues, perhaps you can use this one:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/ https://www.malwarebytes.com/

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

If nothing works, can you try removing the video card and use on the processor, this is to isolate if the issue can be with the processor or the video card. If you get the proper frames or the system works as it should with only the processor and the two displays then it could be that your video card is failing or your power supply is not supplying enough your system, so it will be good to try with different power supply if it is possible to try to isolate the issue.

Please let me know if you can do this test.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
RBuss
Novice

Dear Ivan,

thanks again for your support. I will try to answer everything properly and describe my findings:

• My displays are in extended mode.
  • Unfortunately there was no system restore point I could use
  • The game is called Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) World from Eagle Dynamics and is a flight simulator. It is possible to export instruments like the Multi Funktion Displays (MFDs) out of the module A-10C Warthog to other monitors to have them static in addition to the 3D cockpit. I did so by editing an appropriate .lua file and it worked like charm for years now. This is how it needs to be done in DCS, so nothing wrong on this side.
  • My motherboard BIOS is the actual one
  • I checked with the Malware program you mentioned but no joy. I have Kaspersky Total Security installed. I switched it off for testing but also no joy.
  • Removing the video card worked, the HD 4600 was able to display Windows, but the game needs some horsepower so I got very bad frames as expected. With the Nvidia 1070 only I get good frames.
  • I have no chance to check a different power supply but mine is quite good (be quiet! Straight Power 10 550W), never had issues so far.
  • Attached you find a picture of my installation to give you an idea what I´m talking about. The small displays are standing in front of me with the surrounded green knobs.

What I figured out in the net is that double buffering causes FPS "jumps" like I see them. E. g. if your monitor frequency is 60 you see 30, 20, 15 etc. FPS which is very close to what I see at my problem. As I don´t see it with the Nvidia only I only can estimate it could be something at the intel graphics. There is not such slider inside of the game so I´m actually following this direction. Maybe this idea brings more ideas to you. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Xoxen

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Xoxen,

First I have to say that I love your gig setup! Talk about immersive experiences right? Envy level is over 9000 here!

If I can suggest, since this exact same configuration was working fine before, from the Intel drivers perspective, I would suggest doing a trial and error process. For starters, here is a list of our previous drivers from older to newer (last 4 digits = driver build number):

Try testing with each driver, one at a time, as it must have been one of them that had no problems with this setup before. I'm sorry if this is not a very elegant solution, but as I mentioned before, I (unfortunately) do not have a setup like yours to properly replicate this situation.

If you do not see any improvement with any of the drivers I listed, then I would suggest contacting the game developer. Why? perhaps they can offer additional suggestions (e.g. cleaning game installation/cache files).

I hope this helps.

Note: When testing with an older driver, Windows Update* tends to automatically push for the new stuff, so I would suggest installing and testing with the old driver while disconnected from the Internet, just to be sure.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RBuss
Novice

Hi Ronald, thanks a lot. Yes, the experience is amazing. I guess only VR is better.

I posted already in the Eagle Dynamics forum to get some additional input.

I also tried several of your mentioned drivers. Unfortunately without success. FPS still capped at 14. First of all I try to make a fresh install of the game ( I deleted the cache already, guess what). If I still fail my next step is a fresh Windows installation.

If you have some futher suggestions I'm always willing to listen and try.

One thing I figured out is uninstalling the drivers with DDU seems to leave at least the profiles there. Installing a new driver afterwards still shows an own created profile. Do you have an idea how to completely uninstall it? Maybe this would help to remove THE fragment out of the registry which is possibly causing an issue.

Thanks,

Xoxen

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again Xoxen,

Just curious if you got a chance to do the clean OS installation, as I think this could be caused by an incorrect file or registry update during the Creators Update installation.

Also, did you get any reply from the folks at Eagle Dynamics?

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RBuss
Novice

Hi Ronald,

actually I didn´t do a fresh installation as I don´t find the time. I guess this will take at least a month until I could do so.

The feedback I got from the ED forum was a fresh game installation, watch my HD audio drivers (there is an error mentioned in my dxdiag file which direct to this). As soon as I do anything I will post the outcome. But as I´m busy right now and am travelling afterwards this will take some time. Would have been good to get rid of the problem before that but now I need to have patience.

Thanks for asking and best regards,

Xoxen

Small update: In lack of time I did an inplace update of Windows keeping my programms. It was said that setting will get resetted. To cut a long story short. No success.

I will do a fresh installation in appr. 1 week and post the outcome as well.

Take care.

Xoxen

0 Kudos
RBuss
Novice

Dear Intel Team,

finally I made a fresh Windows 10 Installation and running DCS World on one Display ended up in very high FPS. Changing to 3 Screens (all connected to the Nvidia) reduced the FPS into a reasonable range, still high. Adding the 2 small screens for the MFCD export brought up the same bad FPS I had before the new installation (used an older Intel driver but Windows immidiately installed the new one as I had to turn on the internet connection to start the game). So it is definitely a Windows/Nvidia/Intel/Game combination thing. Finally I took the decision to switch off the HD 4600 and ordered a GTX 1030 to do the same job. I will post the outcome once I installed it nevertheless it will not be of any interest for intel users anymore.

Thanks for the help you gave to me. It helped me to sort out the problem even though I was not able to get rid of it. Maybe a newer driver will help or a Windows update or a game update.

Best regards,

Xoxen

Edit: The GTX 1030 just arrived. I installed it and the Nvidia driver immidiately acknowledged the card. FPS are back where they are used to be. Finally solved with a little investment. I thought I could avoid this but it´s worth me.

0 Kudos