Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

XTU and sleep

CSong4
Beginner

Hello

I used intel XTU to adjust (reduce) the Core voltage, and its working very well except one problem

Whenever i put the computer to sleep (via windows 7 power shutdown menu), when it wakes up it always give me a blue screen error.

This happens regardless of the amount of voltage offset applied (even 0.001 volt), and if i do a full reboot i do not have this error. Also i dont get this error if i manually undervolt using my bios, so i think there is something XTU is interacting with my system that makes it not possible to wakeup properly from sleep

I am using a windows 7 64bit, gigabyte h97n-wifi motherboard and i5-4460 cpu.

I even tried to manually switch off haswells c6/c7 state but the problem is the same

I could definitely use some help. Thx vm

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello C.J,

In this case you will need uninstall the XTU and then install "KMDF 1.11 update for Win7" at the following link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38423 Download Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 from Official Micros…, once install go a head and install the XTU.

Let me know your finding.

Regards,

Amy.

CSong4
Beginner

Thank you for your answer, I tried that but it says that it has already been installed on my system (and i continue to get blue screen).

Once, I was able to recover from sleep mode, but in a few seconds the blue screen arrived again.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

You have to keep in mind that the Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor, is locked which means that the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility is not meant to work with locked processors.The issue here is that whenever the Core voltage is adjust or reduce on a locked processor you might have issues related with the performance of your system since is not made to be overclocked. Now, I would recommend to uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility and to enter the BIOS and get the default settings, so that way the blue screen error might stop.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CSong4
Beginner

Thx Amy

I am just trying to undervolt (not overclock) the CPU slightly, something a lot of laptop users do using XTU on locked CPU to reduce temperature

In fact the undervolting with XTU works very well. It only has a problem when i put the CPU to sleep. I dont think its a voltage issue because the amount of undervolt is 0.001 volt, and same result if i overvolt by 0.001 volt

I hope i can find a solution to this. I can undervolt using my bios, but its not as flexible as the XTU (ie no offset voltage feature)

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I understand but in this case even if you try to under volt the CPU you might have issues related with the performance, although is working when you put it to sleep it gives you a blue screen and it might be related to the fact that you under volt the processor and this model is just made to run on the standards.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CSong4
Beginner

Thx

As i explained before, the undervolting works well when using the BIOS, moreover i am talking about 0.001 volt of under (and the same for overvolt)... seriously, this must be linked to something else (i.e. interaction between other elements of XTU profile) than the pure amount of voltage applied, when a much significant undervolt works very well using the BIOS..And again, many many people succesfully undervolt their locked CPU...

While I'm not a CPU expert, I believe all CPU (whether its K or non-K), can theoretically have some degree of buffer on the voltage as we cannot manufacture every CPU to behave the same way for a given voltage.

Anyway appreciate your reply, I still think intel should not limit the scope of support of the tool to non-locked CPU. Your utility is very very useful and convinient to optimize the power usage of locked CPU... Ignoring this aspect (and assuming its due to locked CPU), would be ignoring a non-insignificant segment of users of XTU.

0 Kudos