Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

i7-3970x overheating - not over clocked, recommended stock heatsink and cooler

PGaug
Beginner

Hi folks,

According to Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8.089 my CPU is fairly routinely hitting over 90 degrees. I've stripped the thermal paste and reapplied carefully twice, but still the same thing. The fan goes crazy and the temperatures still skyrocket.

It's in a DX79SR - this shouldn't be happening, right?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello pnag,

In this case I would recommend downloading the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool that is going to help you to get the real temperature of the CPU.

Could you please sent us the results whenever the diagnostic is done?

When the CPU hit over 90 degrees, did the computer get freeze?

Also, try to reseat the fan one more time and if available can you try with a different fan.

Here is the link where you can find the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Intel® Download Center, third option to install it.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

PGaug
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I don't believe the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool gives temperatures? The Intel Desktop Utilities do though, and they are what's giving the 90 degree plus readings when I run the Diagnostic Tool. This is with the stock cooler installed, and two thorough reapplications of the thermal paste, just to be sure.

0 Kudos
PGaug
Beginner

Meant to say, I don't have access to another cooler, and while the machine is not freezing, the back of case fan that's attached to the stock liquid cooler sounds like a hair drier.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

It seems that processor could be overheating. However, if could sent us the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool we will be able to confirm it.

Please once the the diagnostic is done go to File>View Results File and sent the txt file.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PGaug
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Finally got a support call logged and as it's under warranty, it's been RMA'd back. 90 degrees C in 30 seconds when running Prime95 is not normal, so back it goes!

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello pnag,

I'm glad hear that, we're here to help.

If you need additional help let me know, thank you for contacting Intel.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos