Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Determine the maximum system memory that can be used by 4500MHD?

idata
Employee

Is there a way to restrict the maximum amount of memory that can be used by the graphics card in Windows? I read that 4500MHD will use 512MB of RAM (in a 4GB machine), but I would like to restrict it to 256MB maximum, since this is enough for plain system not used for games.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm sure the graphics cards only use whats needed.

So if a game uses 512 memory it will give that much. Not running any games it will only do enough for the system so 64.

I see no point in restricting the max amount if its only going to use that much only when its needed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, if what you said is true, I agree it is fine.

I was just wondering if it was 4500MHD one of the culprits of Win7 32bits be reserving 1GB of RAM for hardware (from the 4GB total).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Its one of Windows 7's features to use a chunk of ram to speed up the computer. Mine is using 40% ram.

Of course it releases it all when needed. So don't think this will affect anything that needs a lot of ram.

To sum it all up, nothing to worry about

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually, 32bits can only address 4GB, so, after reading endless articles, etc. all over the internet, it seems that Windows is reserving 1GB of "address" space to communicate with the hardware installed, instead of using it for addressing "RAM". The quantity of RAM "wasted" depends on the hardware you have. I have friends running different machines (all with 4GB total RAM) and the "available" RAM reported by Windows varies from 3GB (my case) to 3.4GB.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Using a 32bit OS you can only use about 3.4 gigs, as it can only address this much. If you install a 64bit OS then you will be able to use the Full 4gigs.

Basically this 600 megs isn't used and it has nothing to do with the graphics card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

32bits = 2 ^ 32 = 4294967296 = 4.096MB = 4 GB

Problem with 64bits OS is still compatibility with some drivers and apps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I just did a little reading. I think not a lot can be done with this lost ram other then installing a 64bit OS.

Btw I have Windows 7 64bit and have no problems at all. I use my computer for everything. So gaming, work (software development), etc. I've not had any driver issues. A lot of people use 64bit these days so any lasting problems not going to last for long.

0 Kudos