Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

CPU Fan at full speed

idata
Employee

I have a system with a S5500BC Motherboard and a single Xeon 5520 processor with a Codegen 4U-600 chassis. Irrespective of what the system is doing, the CPU fan runs at full speed. I've tried upgrading the BIOS, setting to 'Acoustics', and several other tricks with no luck. The chassis has two uncontrolled system fans (two-wire, not connected to the motherboard). I believe the motherboard believes there's no system fan and as a protection measure turns the CPU fan at full speed. When I upgraded the BIOS with the Intel Deployment Assistant I indicated that it was not an Intel Chassis. But the BIOS still thinks it is. What should I do?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi there,

When the fan are spinning too loud, it can be due to:

1. Wrong system fans are connected on the board.

2. Incompatible chassis and wrongly configured SDR.

3. Compatible chassis with a wrongly configured SDR

4. Bios Settings wrongly configured.

I will personally try to check if the chassis is on the compatibility list and the system fan headers are correctly connected.

Then update the following:

BIOS

BMC

FRUSDR

Reboot, and verify BIOS settings

EFI Update Procedures: 

=======================

Download the EFI package firmware onto your desktop:

Latest package available from the Website:

Extract the zip files.

Copy all the extracted contents in the folder to a FAT-FORMATTED USB (ROOT DIRECTORY of the usb)

Insert the USB to the target machine.

Boot the system into the BIOS (F2)

Go to Boot Manager

Select the EFI Shell and press Enter

It will automatically boot onto the EFI shell.

Once on the EFI shell, the shell will look for the file startup.nsh automatically in the USB.

If it does not find the startup file, try another USB.

It will load the firmware package automatically and you just need to follow the instructions.It will ask you to select the chassis model, since it is 3rd party chassis select Other Chassis when doing the SDR firmware update. Follow the instructionsMake sure to mention which system fans have been connected.

After the update of these firmware, i will go onto the bios and Advanced, System Acoustic and Performance Configuration, Throttling Mode set to Open Loop, Set fan profile as Acoustic and Altitude set 300 or less if you have these options in the bios.

Other than this, next steps will be to verify the sel log and verify the release notes of the firmware if there is anything mentionned.

Note: sometimes some usb key are not detected in EFI shell, use another usb key.

Hope these are useful,

Regards,

Aryan
0 Kudos