Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Core 2 Duo Upgrade

idata
Employee

Newbie here. I came here looking for an answer on upgrading my processor. Im looking at the 2.66ghz 6mb cache 1333 mhz e8200 cpu to replace my 6300 1.8mhz core 2 duo. For an extra 20 dollars I can go to (if i can) a core 2 quad 2.33ghz 4mb cache 1333mhz fsb. The way I'm reading this is the core 2 duo is a better cpu than the quad core. My question is are these cpu's interchangable with my 6300 and is the core 2 duo a better cpu than the quad core. Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

All three are the 775 socket

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,What you need to check is if the CPUs are compatible with that board, so either gives us the model, or got to the support page for the manufacturer of the board and look at their CPU list

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

All 775 socket processors will fit the board but you need to check the board manufacturers site for specific processor support, and possible bios upgrade requirements. The duo processor will probably perform better unless you use application(s) concurrently which can effecively utilise more than two processors, as it is faster and has more cache per processor.

0 Kudos