Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Help getting i7-720 Intel Turbo Boost Technology to work

idata
Employee

Help please! All of the sudden, my core i7-720 (HP dv8 notebook) is not overclocking at all anymore. It used to do so constantly, always when booting up the computer and loading and running certain software, as shown in my Intel Turbo Boost desktop gadget and CPU-Z. Now I cannot get the multiplier to move from the "cellar," at 7x, processor stuck at 1.6 ghz. I checked the Device Manager and found there was one of those yellow "caution flags" next to the driver, and the following pieces of information about the driver :

Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver

1.0.1.1002 10/26/09

PCI bus 0, device 31, function 6

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I have tried reloading the driver, also tried driver 1.01.1.1003 (curiously, earlier date?) but no change. This just happened spontaneously after 3 months of trouble free performance. No changes to computer I can think of recently.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

If you want instant answers from Intel experts, I suggest you attend Intel Live Chat session. These interactive platform are aimed to connect in-house Intel experts with their users and customers. The next session on Intel core processors is on 26th of this month. That will be a good platform for you to seek answers. www.intellivechat.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I thank you for making me aware of this live chat, but I am really not looking forward to waiting 2 weeks to have a shot at getting some help with this. I assume you yourself have no help to lend? I checked your history of posts and this is what you normally do: promote the live chat. Is that your job?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Returning to your problem, this may be an operating system/driver corruption.

For me, update your system BIOS, remember that any new fixes for the processor will be updated with it.

Also remember that the Intel(R) Turbo Boost technology will work if your other cores are on idle or in a sleep mode. You may have a virus or an operating system bug making them work (slightly but work) and prevent the feature to operate. Also there is a temperature requirement, check on the processor temperatures.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm also having this problem with a new Lenovo Y560. Same details as OP.

Oddly, though I get the same error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", it appears as though it is working (At least, I have seen the clock multiplier jump in CPU-Z). Nevertheless, something is still not right.

idata
Employee

The turbo boost functionality is inherent in the HP dv8's CPU, so this driver is worthless. You can download the turbo boost monitor instead to see that your PC is in fact using turbo boost without this driver.

For the dv8, you should uninstall the turbo boost driver entirely. There is no driver that works with the dv8. For some reason, many people have reported the driver getting mysteriously installed by something on their dv8. I myself had this problem. I uninstalled it. Turbo boost works fine.

See this post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/6628220-post1569.html http://forum.notebookreview.com/6628220-post1569.html

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank You!! Immense Help..

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

You may want to check your BIOS set-up to make sure teh turbo features are enabled.

Speed Step should be enabled and and switches for C3 / C6 should be enabled.

In Windows 7 / 2008, your power management should be set for balanced mode not preformance.

(sounds strange but proformance mode can cause the the cpu to stay at its max rated frequency rather than clocking up to turbo boost mode)

0 Kudos