Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Notebook not booting up after BIOS update

idata
Employee

Hi,

I tried updating the BIOS of my Sony Vaio CS-17G notebook with Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset to the latest updates given at the Sony Support Website.

Everything went fine, got message 'BIOS updated successfully', 'Press OK to shut down.'

Pressed ok & now nothing's okay. The system is not booting up!

Tried the following troubleshooting, but no luck;

1) Pressing F2 & F8 keys.

2) Disconnected the AC Adapter, removed the battery & pressed the power button for 60secs.

Pls assist.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Sometimes this things happen... The BIOS flash didn't went thru. You ended up with no BIOS to boot from.

You may try leaving the system with no battery overnight and see if the next morning will boot.

If it is in warranty call Sony and say that the system did not want to boot anymore. don't mention the BIOS update, some will consider this a reason to void the warranty.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks BigThor for your reply. Tried leaving the system whithout battery overnite but no luck.

Its out of warranty now, but it was the Sony Support people only who insisted me to go in for the BIOS update.

idata
Employee

I suggest you to call them again and put in a complain, now your system wont work again because of a bar commendation. Maybe you can get it fixed as you where following their recommendations.

If you don't have any luck, you may find the motherboard used on some online stores. IT may be cheaper than to buy a new one.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One positive development guys; visited Sony Service Center yesterday, explained them that it happened cause of their support staff has asked me to update BIOS, provided them the case reference number. They are looking into the laptop, could be it gets done under warranty. Fingers Crossed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LOL, I told you that they can help you!

Good luck!

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Parry, had you sucess fixing the issue? My Vaio SR21M/S got the same issue of SSD not visibile from BIOS, but original HDD works. After hours without battery just worked once...

In internet I found users that fixed this issue enablien AHCI Optional Rom Support.

Gil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gilberto Cocchi, was able to fix the issue only after getting the motherboard replaced.

Was lucky enough that Sony considered it under warranty.
0 Kudos