Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Reset Raid-Controller RS2BL080

MF1
Beginner

Hi,

Short story: I would like to reset my raid controller Intel RS2BL080 with attached battery pack.

Long story: I'm running an Intel server board S5520HC (2x HexCore Xeon E5645) using an Intel chassis SC5650DP and the above mentioned raid ctrl RS2BL080.

I've flashed the latest available raid bios and updated all of the board's firmware, like BIOS, FRU, BMC, SDR and more.

The controller once had four SAS drives attached. Running two Raid level 1. One drive crashed and I had to replace it.

I did not replace it with another SAS harddisk but removed both drives completely and attached two SATA drives. The raid controller is capable of handling SAS and SATA drives, of course.

After cold booting the server I pressed CTRL+G to enter the raid bios to configure a new raid.

First I was told, during bootup, that there is a raid configuration mismatch and I could continue pressing C. Ok I did this but to no avail.

I could enter the raid bios weeks before to configure both raid using CTRL+G. Again a few days before CTRL+G jumped at least to the graphical interface where I could select the controller, however this failed, because I could not use the keyboard nor the mouse pointer to proceed.

Today at the stage of entering the raid configuration, I now see a black screen - nothing more. The graphical interface I saw a few days before disappeared and even waiting for half an hour did not succeed.

I had a look into the controller manual and noticed there is a reset pin available JT9. Hence I shutted down the server, added a jumper to this pin and restarted, thought this would do a hard reset of the controller.

After a while nothing happened as well. Don't know if this is the correct procedure to reset the controller or not. The manual does not mention this either.

Question is: Did anybody encounter the same happening when entering the controller BIOS and how do I reset the controller assuming this would resolve this annoying error?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Michael F,

I am sorry of hearing about your issue.

You can try the reset procedure jumping the JT9 two pin connector.

After that let me tell you that there could be multiple reasons why the raid bios GUI does not show up even if the Ctrl+G prompt appears.

At this point you have made some hardware changes and its important to discard simple things first. Please try reseating all PCI slots and riser cards. Disconnect peripherals (hdds) and batteries from raid card. Load default settings on main BIOS by pressing the F9 key, after that disable the quiet boot option to get the Ctrl+G prompt back.

Make sure all the firmware are up to date. You can download the latest board BIOS update package from the following URL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23908/Intel-Server-Board-S5520HC-S5500HCV-S5520HCT-S5520SC-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23908/Intel-Server-Board-S5520HC-S5500HCV-S5520HCT-S5520SC-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI

and the latest firmware for the RS2BL080 raid card from the following URL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23601/6GB-SAS-Hardware-RAID-Firmware-Flash-Update-for-DOS-Windows-Linux-and-UEFI?product=42874 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23601/6GB-SAS-Hardware-RAID-Firmware-Flash-Update-for-DOS-Windows-Linux-and-UEFI?product=42874

Finally as a work around you should be able to access the raid card online from the OS using the Raid Web Console 2 utility. It should allow you to create new volumes, change configurations and all of the same features of the raid BIOS from a graphical interface.

Hope this helps.

Jose H.

0 Kudos
MF1
Beginner

Hi Jose,

thanks for your reply!

In the meantime I found a solution, not for resetting the controller but for getting into the Web Console: I've set the USB Legacy mode of the mainboard's BIOS to disabled. After setting it back to Enabled, I was able to get into the Web Console with keyboard and mouse. Simple, eh?

Did not notice that this would make such a difference. Hence, no further reset necessary nor any other action to take!

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Michael,

I will keep this solution hand. It might help other customers in the future.

Regards,

Dave A.
0 Kudos