Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Clarification of the license terms for Intel wireless drivers?

NOsma
Beginner

I have a laptop with an Intel wireless adapter. I visited the Intel website to download the latest driver and was asked to accept the terms in the license agreement. One of the lines caught my attention:

What, specifically, does "personal, noncommercial use" cover in this agreement? What does the phrase mean when applied to software necessary to make a piece of hardware function correctly? If I conduct business over the Internet (using the wireless adapter) am I violating the license?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello NathanOsman,

We understand you have some questions about the Intel® Software License Agreement, more specifically, what we mean by "Personal, non-commercial use" under the Single User License Terms.

We would like to thank you for your question, as most users will simply accept all terms without reviewing them first.

By non-commercial use, we mean that you agree that you will not receive a fee, salary or any other form of compensation for the software (you may not sell it). While we're not saying we don't care what you do with it, you could say we are more interested in restricting what is done to the software itself.

This is clarified, as much as anything written in legal jargon can be, with the following note:

"2. You may not copy, modify, rent, sell, distribute or transfer any part 

of the Software except as provided in this Agreement, and you agree to

prevent unauthorized copying of the Software."

In short, using this software as a tool to conduct your business will not go against the terms of use, so long as your business does not consist of commercializing our software.

We hope this clears things up. If you have any further doubts, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NathanOsman,

We understand you have some questions about the Intel® Software License Agreement, more specifically, what we mean by "Personal, non-commercial use" under the Single User License Terms.

We would like to thank you for your question, as most users will simply accept all terms without reviewing them first.

By non-commercial use, we mean that you agree that you will not receive a fee, salary or any other form of compensation for the software (you may not sell it). While we're not saying we don't care what you do with it, you could say we are more interested in restricting what is done to the software itself.

This is clarified, as much as anything written in legal jargon can be, with the following note:

"2. You may not copy, modify, rent, sell, distribute or transfer any part 

of the Software except as provided in this Agreement, and you agree to

prevent unauthorized copying of the Software."

In short, using this software as a tool to conduct your business will not go against the terms of use, so long as your business does not consist of commercializing our software.

We hope this clears things up. If you have any further doubts, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
NOsma
Beginner

Wow, thank you for the quick response and the helpful answer. I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NathanOsman,

You're welcome. We're always glad to help.

If you have any further issues or questions, please let us know.

As an additional resource, you may also http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html contact support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos