Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

i5 6600k locked multipliers, no aparent reason..?

idata
Employee

Hello there, I recently bought an i5 6600k obviously with unlocked multiplier as I want to overclock it. Although when I installed everything it appears in BIOS/UEFI that the multipliers are locked, even in Intel Extrem Tuning Utility and I don't know why... Does someone know a reason and a way of solving this? as I need to fix this asap. If it isn't software and it's the processor itself i'll have to change it for another one soo... please I need some help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Kinnai73 ,

What mainboard you have ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

The CPU is reported as 6600k for sure ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes it is, BUT I some how fixed it, apparently there is an option in UEFI which says something like Game mode, it puts the cpu to +or- 4,2ghz and it advises not to change the multiplier. However, it now allows me to change the CPU ratio in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and it works fine at 4.6ghz. As it is advised not to be changed, do I continue this way? or there is another option?

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

So it seems that CPU it's ok and everything is mainboard settings related problem.

You don't need to use Intel Extreme Utility to change multiplier. You can change it in bios in OC Menu / CPU Ratio. For more details I advise you to go on MSI forums https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=122.0 https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=122.0 , as there are more users there with similar or identical mainboards, that can help you.

What I told you is strictly for your information. Overclocking is not supported by Intel and it may affect your CPU warranty. Every modification you do that puts the CPU out of specifications and damages it, can lead to warranty loss.

I hope that information provided is helpful and if you have other technical or warranty problems don't hesitate to ask them here. There are many community members and Intel technical staff that can help you.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your time and work!

Have a nice day too

0 Kudos