Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

sleep states (S0, S1, ...) and connected standby on i7-4790K

JJ_V
Beginner

Hello,

What are the standby modes supported by the i7-4790K on an Z97 chipset?

Using powercfg /a (I'm using Windows 10 x64), I get that most sleep states are not available, e.g.

-

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

-

Which mode should be supported by the processor?

If the lack of support is caused by other hardware, is there a way to identify this?

Does connected standby work on the i7-4790K?

I noticed that the MEI installer of Asus installs the x86 version, rather than the 64 bit version, but if I run the 64-bit installer of the latest verion, it tells me that it is not compatible with the OS. Not sure if this has anything to do with the standby modes...

Thanks,

Jörg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello V_J,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

The processor can support standby, you will need to check in the BIOS if these options are enabled; please check with your motherboard manufacturer for them to guide you how to do it in the BIOS.

This can also happen if you install Windows® 10 but don't install drivers and apps after the OS install to support your hardware. Make sure all drivers are install from your motherboard manufacturer and to have Windows up to date.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
JJ_V
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I'm currently trying to optimize all settings and am not sure what the system should support and how it should behave. I also cannot get some functionality that I used to have, which I also hope to find why. The functionality that I seemly lost in some Windows 10 update (it worked for a while and then just stopped working) is the ability for the system to wake up from shutdown via a set wake timer. This is one of the reasons I'm now trying to optimize the power settings of this computer, the second is that the computer works as a media server, and I want it to go into low power modes as much as possible.

All necessary drivers have been installed, although I'm surprised the MEI driver installs the 32 bit version rather than the 64 bit version.

In bios, I have Package C state support set to C7s, and reports for C3,C6,C7s are enabled, enhanced C1 state is enabled, erp ready is set to S4+S5, intel smart connect is disabled, pcie native power management is enabled but native aspm disabled (I'm using windows 10).

powercfg /a returns:

-

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

-

Hyper-V is enabled, which explains the last one. I will probably disable this as I may do without it. But should the other standby states be possible?

powercfg /energy generates a lengthy report, with the notable things

1. a number of errors of the form

-

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

-

This seems to relate mainly to input devices. The settings in control panel for all usb hubs are that the system can power it down for power saving purposes. Does this prevent some states?

2. one error of the form

-

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

-

Is this related to the bios aspm setting, or rather to another piece of hardware connected to the computer? If the latter, how can I trace which piece of hardware it is?

3. it also lists the following data:

-

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported

false

S2 Sleep Supported

false

S3 Sleep Supported

true

S4 Sleep Supported

true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported

false

-

Should this system support S1 or S2 (and it does not at the moment because of e.g. a wrong setting or incompatible hardware), or should it just not even support it (in which case everything is fine)?

From what I read, the system probably does not support Connected Standby. I have tried Intel ReadyMode, which seems to work (in the sense that the computer does go to some low power mode and wakes up from it). Should the power button indicate a sleepstate or an awake state? (the powerbutton on this system is blue for awake and orange when it is powered off or in sleepstate; using Intel ReadyMode it stays blue).

Is there a way of checking that the system is in a lower power state when using Intel ReadyMode?

Best regards,

Jörg

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the ability for the system to wake up from shutdown via a set wake timer?

It depends on your motherboard BIOS and how it was develop; you will need to check with your motherboard manufacturer.

From Windows you can select your power settings (Balanced, Power Saver, or High Performance Power Plan), your PC manufacturer (motherboard) may have even created their own power plans. What's the difference between them all, and should you bother switching? This is up to you.

About power states I suggest you to contact your motherboard manufacturer because this is controlled from the BIOS, eventhough the processor support this features the BIOS controls the functionality.

About some plan settings from Windows you can check here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/240840/should-you-use-the-balanced-power-saver-or-high-performance-power-plan-on-windows/ http://www.howtogeek.com/240840/should-you-use-the-balanced-power-saver-or-high-performance-power-plan-on-windows/

Ivan.

0 Kudos
JJ_V
Beginner

I understand that it is controlled from bios, but I want to know how what the processor supports. I understand that not everything that the processor supports may be available on system, but there are so many settings in the bios that it would help me a lot to know what will not work for sure: if the processor does not support S1 for example, then I know I do not have to even try for that one. At the moment, as I do not know which states the processor supports and which not; I can not start asking the mainboard manufacturer. The will just reply that the support of a state depends on the processor. Which standby states are supported by the i7-4790K ?

Jörg

0 Kudos