Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

I have a system using linux centos 6.5 OS, a "supermicro X10DRD" mother board and two "E5-2690 V3" CPUs.I know that CPU's maximum frequency is 2.6Ghz, but turboBoost function will clock up to 3.5Ghz.However, in the above combination, the idle state of the

idata
Employee

I have a system using linux centos 6.5 OS, a "supermicro X10DRD" mother board and two "E5-2690 V3" CPUs.

I know that CPU's maximum frequency is 2.6Ghz, but turboBoost function will clock up to 3.5Ghz.

However, in the above combination, the idle state of the linux system is 1.2Ghz, and when the program is run, the max frequency is only 2.6Ghz.

Motherboard setup seems to be done normally.

Using the "cpupower frequency-info" command, the hardware limits are set to 1.2Ghz - 2.6Ghz as shown below.

I ask for technical support on how to enable cpu speeds up to 3.5Ghz in the above environment.

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- -----------

Analyzing CPU 0:

Driver: acpi-cpufreq

CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0

CPUs need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0

Maximum transition latency: 10.0 us

Hardware limits: 1.20 GHz to 2.60 GHz

Available frequency steps: 2.60 GHz, 2.60 GHz, 2.50 GHz, 2.40 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 2.20 GHz, 2.10 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.90 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1.70 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.50 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.30 GHz, 1.20 GHz

Available cpufreq governors: powersave ondemand userspace performance

Current policy: frequency should be within 1.20 GHz and 2.60 GHz.

The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use

Within this range.

Current CPU frequency: 1.20 GHz (asserted by call to hardware)

Boost state support:

Supported: yes

Active: yes

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- -----------

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KL2
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Gize2, thank you for that information.

SANG-HYUN_HAN, please follow the suggestion mentioned above, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

SANG-HYUN_HAN, were you able to follow the suggestion mentioned above?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your good suggestion.

But after BIAS upgrage, my PC still has E5-2690 CPU running at the highest frequency of 2.6Ghz.

The CentOS OS version is 6.5 and the motherboard is supermicro's X10DAi-O.

Is there any way to solve the problem that the turbo Boost frequency suggested by the spec can not be used?

I look forward to the advice of my great advisers.

Regards,

S.H.Han

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My CPU is E5-2690 V3. .......... please help me!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What is the BIOS version you upgraded to? The latest should be; https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.aspx Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support

Bear in mind that this feature will be reached when need it, there is no option to turn it on or off. The maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software, and overall system configuration.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

For further reference visit http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

SANG-HYUN_HAN, hope the information posted above help you, and if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos