Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!

JWese
Beginner

Hey ho,

Two weeks ago i'v re installed my computer. Before one week i re-installed Battlefield 4 and i startet playing. I noticed a error message that told me that there is not enough memory is available. I'v never had this error before. After 2 weeks of testing and finding the problem i noticed that everytime i run a game at another resolution than my desktop resolution my virtual memory is linea filling up to 100%. After it reaches the 100% mark, the Windows Error message shows up and it wants me to close the game that i'm playing. If i run the game at the same resolution than the desktop resolution or in windowed mod this doesnt happen. If i switch back to the desktop, the virtuel memory is will be cleared again.

What i'v already tried:

• Re-installed DirectX
  • Repaire Visual Studio 2013
  • Cleaned and re-installed Nvidia and Intel HD drivers
  • Used a old version of Nvidia drivers
  • Used a old version of Intel HD drivers
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Intel chipset drivers and sata
  • Different amounts of virtual memory
  • Moved the virtual memory from sdd to hdd
  • Checkdisc
  • Re-installed the games
  • Checked memory usage and programms
  • De-installed Avira AntiVir
  • Re-installed Windows 8.1

My system

• Intel i7-3610QM
  • 8,00 GB - 1600MHz
  • 120 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce GT650M - 2 G
  • Intel HD 4000 - 256 MB
  • Asus N76VZ Notebook
  • Virtual memory on SSD 8 GB to 16 GB
  • Windows 8.1 64x
  • Avira AntiVir
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
94 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Keleg,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems but let me help you.

Checking the computer specifications it seems you are using a video card that comes already preinstalled with the computer. This Technology is called switchable graphics and allows the computer to use the external video card and the onboard graphics controller at the same time sharing the resources for the tasks.

From our side we can provide the latest graphics driver but It is recommendable to use the driver that has been designed and created by your Computer Manufacture specifically for your system.

Here is the latest driver from our side:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405

If you are having problems during the installation you can try the manual driver installation. Here are the steps:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm

0 Kudos
JWese
Beginner

I'v already tried to install the Manufacture drivers, our latest driver and a old driver.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Keleg,

At this point since the driver we provide is a generic driver and it seems it is not working properly my best recommendation is to contact the game developer to confirm if this is a known issue or contacting dell for further assistance or replacement of the unit if necessary.

0 Kudos
JWese
Beginner

I think its not a hardware side problem. I'v googled around and there are some other guys that got exactly the same issues with the Intel HD and Nvidia under windows 8.1! There are about 8 sides and more than 47 "me too's" that got the same issue than me.

Please take a look at this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=1 Windows 8.1 x64 - Low memory while playing full screen games - Microsoft Community
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I understand. We as Intel® provide the hardware to the computer manufactures and they design and create special drivers for your unit. From our side, the drivers are generic for computers created by branding companies like HP, Dell and in your case Asus.

As mentioned before, your computer comes with the switchable graphics configuration. Most of the times (not to say always), systems with switchable graphics use the onboard graphics (Intel®) for basic purposes like browsing or loading windows and the external graphics card is used to run heavy applications like games.

I recommend you checking for a firmware update for the Graphics card from NVidia side or contacting the Asus support.

0 Kudos
DWink3
Beginner

Hello Kevin,

firstly thank you for answering more than once! That's at least more than the guys at Microsoft did. Other than that I'm not trying to offend you or to be too harsh, but I think you're wrong and I think you didn't really understand.

The issue is caused by the Intel driver on a variety of systems of different manufacturers. Why, you ask? Well simply downgrading the driver to a version like 2875 or 2884 completely solves the issue for users of the HD4000. Unfortunately Intel keeps pushing updates that seem to be defective. The last one less than a week ago. I don't think we should lay the blame on Nvidia. Also people who have a HD4400 or HD4600 aren't that lucky because they simply can't downgrade to a working version of the driver.

Anyways… Since you obviously did not read the thread on the Microsoft forums which Keleg posted I'll happily summarize it for you:

The problem occurs:

• only on Windows 8.1
  • only when playing on fullscreen or using a fullscreen application like XBMC
  • only when the resolution and/or refresh rate of the fullscreen application does not match the resolution and/or refresh rate of windows
  • mostly for Optimus users (I'm not sure if it also occurs for users of an Intel HD only)
  • only for users of a new Intel graphics driver (the Nvidia driver doesn't matter, trust me I've tried it), unfortunately this doesn't give us much of a choice other than setting the Windows updates to "manual" and sort out all of the intel graphics drivers) - 2875/2884 driver versions seem to work, I can confirm the 2875 myself (HD4000).

What happens?

• The virtual memory / pagefile.sys gets bloated, and with bloated I mean about 25 gigabytes in my case (I'm pretty sure my SSD really LOVES all the write-cycles!)
  • Soon after that the message telling you that you ran out of memory will pop up
  • Again: for more details check out the thread on the Microsoft forums, it's actually quite informative

The workarounds people came up with are also on the Microsoft thread.

So please do us a favor and read the thread on the Microsoft forum and stop laying the blame on game developers, Nvidia or Asus instead of redirecting the issue to a Intel division, which could actually try to reproduce the issue and determine that we aren't actually telling you fairy tales. (And no, I don't have an Asus!)

Thank you very much!

( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=1&tm=1393886867223 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=1&tm=1393886867223 )

0 Kudos
JWese
Beginner

I'v installed the Windows 8 manufacture drivers now. And the problem is gone... i found out whats happening. Its becouse of the windows 8.1 new directx 11.2 buffering. So if you install windows 8 drivers there will be no 11.2 only 11.1

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

DenisW, checking the information posted at Microsoft forum it seems clear but is not consistent when talking about what the problem is, because the issue can be caused by the driver or the Operating System settings fighting with the game settings. You mentioned that the issue is solved when using older driver versions meaning that there may be a driver problem.

It is important to say that our drivers support DirectX up to 11.1 but 11.2 is not supported yet.

I personally have been testing the driver version 3412 and the 3345 and I have not been able to replicate this problem. The games I have tested so far are Call of Duty GHOST and World Of Warcraft Cataclysm.

This is my system configuration:

DZ87KLT-75K

Intel® Core i7-4770k

1000W power supply

16GB RAM

As part of the steps, I recommend you checking the DVMT. Intel® graphics controllers uses shared memory that is taken from the RAM memory installed on your computer.

The feature that sets the amount of memory that is used for video is called Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology and this will make the graphics controller only to use the amount of RAM memory that it requires to run the different applications or software's.

You will see this option usually in BIOS and you will have 3 options, 128MB, 256MB and maximum DVMT. Other values can be found as 512MB, etc but this depends on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM memory installed on your computer.

Please update the driver to the latest. You can download version 3412 here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23639 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23639

0 Kudos
RKreb
Beginner

Hello kevin_intel. I get also "the low memory message" from Windows 8.1. And believe me, all

complains are true. As mention before. Your virtuall RAM is growing up, if you play a game

in full-screen and the desktop resolution and refresh rate did not match the ingame settting!

Hardware Notebook Acer V3-771G, HD4000 and nvidia GT650M. This happens since i

make the update to win 8.1!!! This "memory-leak" also occurs if i force the game to use the HD4000 GPU!

I can confirm, if you dwongrad to an old intel driver, the memory-leak disappears. But this

can not be the solution, because the old driver produce suttering in gameplay.

And at last, please solve this problem, may be with the work of microsoft.

Here you see the permanent growing of the virtual Ram (Pagefile) about 1 Gigabyte in 15 seconds.

0 Kudos
DWink3
Beginner

Hey,

thanks for testing! However, it seems like you've tested it with a desktop system (4770k). The issue seems to affect mostly Nvidia Optimus systems. (e.g. GT 650M + HD 4000, GTX 765M + HD 4600, GT 750M + HD 4600)

So be sure to use an Optimus system running Windows 8.1. It's still the version of the Intel graphics driver, that determines if the bug occurs or not. It seems that the Nvidia driver does not have any influence on the issue.

In the Microsoft forum the 3412 was confirmed as not working in terms of fixing the issue. I'm pretty sure it is the version I've received with the Windows update as well.

Furthermore I don't think a low DVMT should cause the computer to swap into the pagefile like crazy, right?

The games causing the issue for me were: Battlefield 4, Titanfall (Beta), CS:Go

I assume it would occur with many more games as well, but to be honest.. I was just sick of testing it

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

The issue occurs for sure on desktop systems. I have an HTPC that shows this issue.

Asus H87i-plus, i7-4770k, intel HD 4600 graphics, Windows 8.1. HDMI cable from motherboard to TV.

I have the same behavior as Keleg, Dennis and Ray have reported.

Kevin- It is important to note the the issue only occurs under 8.1. The exact same driver under 8 does not show the issue.

Kevin- I have tested every Intel graphics driver I could find that supports HD 4600. Every single one of them have this system commit issue when running under windows 8.1. If you have 8.1 installed and you have an HDMI cable from your motherboard directly to your monitor try this test: Start task manager. Open up a Commit Charge vs. time display (Performance tab, Resource Monitor, memory tab). Start up a full screen WoW game (not windowed). Power off your monitor for 15 minutes. Power on your monitor. Alt-tab out of WoW. View Commit Charge graph.

Does it stay nice and level or is there a saw tooth like the one that Ray posted? I would really like to know the answer to that question.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to verify this with the development team and I will be back with more information.

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

Hi,

I also have the exact same issue,

My system is Laptop Asus N750JV with intel HD 4600 + Geforce GT 750M (Optimus technologie) running on Windows 8.1 64bits.

I can reproduce the issue on Far Cry 3 for example (Memory message after about 3 minutes when I play in full screen only)

I hope you will find a solution.

0 Kudos
ETayl
Beginner

@tprodigy2-

You are not alone. Many of us have been waiting many, many release versions for something that works. Here is a question for you: You should be able to disable the HD4600 graphics in the BIOS and run simply under the 750M. When you do that do the low memory errors go away?

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

hi,

Unfortunatly, on my laptop, it is impossible to disable the intel graphic card in the BIOS. The Optimus technology (ie: The automatic switching from one card to the other for enery saving purpose) needs that both cards work together.

I'm so surprised that so many people have reported this problem and there is still no patch / driver available to correct this.

0 Kudos
RKreb
Beginner

Hello Robert_U, also the new driver "15.33.18.64.3496" will not work!

The memory bug still exists.

Any news? I'am really disappointed!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We are currently investigating this issue and will post updates on our progress in this thread.

Robert

0 Kudos
LBlis
Beginner

I can confirm this issue, and add that it's not related to the brand of the discrete card.

I've got the Intel HD 4600 alongside an AMD HD8970M, and experience the same problem (memory leakage when a fullscreen application's resolution differs from the desktop resolution).

0 Kudos
MHega1
Beginner

The New Update Has released and the problem still exists !!!!

its alot of time since Microsoft released windows 8.1 and the problem is here because intel inc. has lazy developers and programmers

intel inc. only cares about making new customers new sales

but the current users intel doesn't care about then as they already payed

i have amd Radion graphic card 7670m with intel 4000 HD switchable graphic and the problem still here even with the new update

the problem is disappeared with old driver 9.17.10.2875

so fix it up in the next update

we can't play any games with this problem

so its urgent and critical problem

4 months and the problem didn't fixed yet how come !!!!!!!!!!!

i'll never buy and laptop has an intel inside graphic cards never even if it was for free

0 Kudos
ttpro
Novice

Too bad that driver version 3496 doesn't solve our issue.

But it may take some time to find where the problem comes from. Also, correcting & testing a driver before you make it available to everybody is a complex task.

Intel is now aware that there is a real problem. But is it an Intel driver problem? is it a windows 8.1 problem? or combination of both? they have to investigate.

hopefully, we won't have to wait 4 more months before the problem is solved.