Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

82579LM No full/half duplex options work

idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

I have an issue regarding the Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network card in a brand new HP PC (Windows 7 x64, latest NIC drivers from HP website)

I need the Link speed and Duplex set to 100Mbps - Full Duplex.

When I set this to 100/Full, or indeed any other option other than auto-negotiate, I lose my network connection immediately. (Network Connections shows Network cable unplugged.) If I set to auto-negotiate and reboot, I have the connection enabled without problem.

Leaving it at auto-negotiate is not an option. I need it set to 100/Full. I also have all of the following options disabled:

Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing

Energy Efficient Ethernet

Flow Control

Checksum Offload

Interrupt Moderation

Jumbo Packet

Large Send Offload

Priority and VLAN

Protocal NS Offload

Receive Side Scaling

System Idle Power Saver

Wait for Link

and all Power management settings. Also Transmit/Receive Buffers set to 2048.

Any advice or suggestions welcomed. Am pulling my hair out here!

0 Kudos
29 Replies
idata
Employee

Ok, having investigated this further, I have found the following.

When "Wait for Link" is set to Off and link speed is set to anything other than auto negotiate, the NIC loses all connectivity and reports no cable is plugged in. When "Wait for Link" is set to On or Auto, there is no problem in setting link speed.

We have tested this thoroughly and are 100% sure this is a bug with the NIC. We are using the latest driver, and have tested on 3 different brand new PC's.

0 Kudos
Richmond_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I have a DQ67SW board here that uses an onboard Intel 82579LM Gigabit network controller. I installed Windows 7 64bit and update the drivers from the installer CD one by one starting with the chipset drivers. I tried the different link speeds and so far I did not encounter the issue. (Try installing from scratch if you are using a new system and work your way up one by one)

Here are the details of the drivers.

Initial driver;

Original Proset version is 15.7.176.0

Original Driver Version: 11.8.81.0

tried different link speeds including 100Mbps Full Duplex, Auto-generate, etc except for the Gigabit speed since I am using only a 100Mbps switch. So far everything is working ok.

I also tried to download the 16.4 software and it also worked ok. You can try it out but I suggest checking it out with HP first. Here is the link http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20275&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20275&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers

What is your exact system system configuration (brand and model)

What kind of switch/router are you using? you might want to check the settings too.

Are you using an add-on or onboard NIC?

Check to see if there are any conflicts in Device Manager.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 when attempting to troubleshoot the problem. I have tried the original Windows driver, reinstalling the driver through the HP recovery disc, and installing the driver from the HP website (v 11.8.81.0).

It is a HP 8200 Elite Microtower with onboard Intel 82579LM. We have tried using a dumb switch (Netgear) and our usual Netgear ProSafe managed switch; however as I mentioned, when the link speed is set to 100/Full, we lose all connection, so I'm fairly sure the switch is irrelevant to our issue.

There are no conflicts in Device Manager, running the Intel Diagnostics when the card is set to 100/Full just produces a result saying that a cable is unplugged. Of course, it is not.

I will try the driver version 16.4 as you suggested and post whether I have any luck or not.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Winston432 and Rosiao -

Thank you for using Intel Ethernet! I wanted to let you know that we had identified a problem similiar to what you describe when forcing the speed and duplex from the advanced tab. The fix for this issue should be coming out this month and will be part of our 16.5 release.

Cheers,

-- miles

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are having a similar problem with the 82579LM in HP PCs and laptops and are wondering if it might also be addressed by the 16.5 driver update. Our switch ports and nics are set to 100 Full. While the nic is set to 100 Full, the actual link speed drops to 100 Half--if not immediately, then shortly, and definitely once the PC has been rebooted. At 100 Half, the speed at which we can upload large files is drastically slower than it is at 100 Full. Our short-term fix is to install the driver for the 82577 nic, which runs at 100 full and does not drop back to 100 Half. We'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

A zip file of the version 16.5 CD is available at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20232 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20232. I expect that web packs by OS t to be posted later this week or next week if you want to wait for a smaller download size.

This the version that has the fix that Miles posted about.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The 82579LM driver available with the 16.5 CD doesn't seem to correct our problem. In fact the driver date and version, 7/20/2011 and 11.13.51.0, respectively, appear to be the same as what we had installed before I updated the driver. Is 11.13.51.0 the driver version that is found on the 16.5 CD, or did I fail to update the nic software properly?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Correction: previously, we tried the 82579LM driver, dated 12/21/2010, version 11.8.84.0. Regardless, version 11.13.51.0 doesn't correct the problem I outlined previously.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are also having problems with the full/half duplex options for the 82579LM and are awaiting the 16.5 version for the fix. I am just wondering if there is any ETA for the release of the Windows drivers.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

You can get the Windows* 7 web pack from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713. The files just went out to the main server a short time ago, so depending on the mirror where you get your file, you might still be seeing version 16.4 instead of version 16.5. That will clear up as the caches get updated. So if you get 16.4 instead of 16.5, I would say try back later or tomorrow (August 23).

For the "not getting a connection when configuring speed or duplex other than auto negotiate" fix, if version 16.5 does not seem to resolve the issue, then try completely uninstalling the software and drivers for the network connection. Then do a clean install. Let us know how that works.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

I should have been more clear, our users are still running XP and were wondering when 16.5 drivers would be released for it.

Thanks again,

John

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The Windows* webpacks work for all versions of Windows from Windows XP and Server 2003 up through Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. The pages where you download the webpacks for specific versions of Windows have different lists of adapters and controllers depending on what device supports which version of Windows.

For example, if you have a device that has drivers for Windiows 7, but not Windows Server 2008 R2, you would see that device on the list for Windows 7, but not on the list for Server 2008 R2. But, you can download from any of the "Windows" pages and get the same webpack.

PROWin32.exe is the same file for 32-bit Windows on every download center page.

PROWinx64.exe is the same file for 64-bit Windows on every download center page.

I expect that all the pages will be update to 16.5 files before today is over, but you can download 16.5 right now from the WIndows 7 link and use the file on Windows XP.

I hope this explanation is helpful instead of confusing. I hope version 16.5 meets your expectations.

Mark H

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

I expect all of the 16.5 download center webpacks to be live by the end of the day (if they are not already live.) I am checking on them now. For those who want the Windows XP webpack, here it is: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717. I just checked and this one is now at version 16.5.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

We still continue to face the same problems.

Environment:

• Hardware: Lenovo M91p and Dell T1600 with the embedded 82579LM Ethernet Controller

• Software: Windows XP SP3

• Network: PC set to 100Mbps/Full Hard. Switch set to 100Mbps/Full Hard.

Driver Versions Tested:

• Intel PROSet Version 15.7.176.0, Driver Version: 11.8.84.0 (e1c5132.sys), Driver Date: 21 Dec 2010

• Intel PROSet Version 16.4.69.0, Driver Version: 11.12.38.0, Driver Date: 23 Jun 2011

• Intel PROSet Version 16.5.2.0, Driver Version: 11.13.51.0, Driver Date: 20 Jul 2011

Scenario and Results:

PCSwitchResult100Mbps/Full Hard100Mbps/Full Hard100Mbps/Half (see NOTE A)Auto NegotiationAuto/Auto100Mbps/Full (Auto)100Mbps/Full HardAuto/Auto100Mbps/Full (see NOTE B)Auto Negotiation100Mbps/Full Hard100Mbps/Half

• NOTE A: The connection would sometimes connect at 100Mbps/Full or 100Mbps/Half. Disconnecting* and re-connecting NIC may cause a change from Full to Half (or vice-versa). Sometimes, when we reconnect, we don't get a link at all. We'll have to try several times. No consistency or clear pattern has been established. It is seemingly random. (*Disconnecting by unplugging the cable or disabling the NIC via Control Panel).

• NOTE B: This scenario seems to indicate that even when the setting on the 82579LM is set to 100Mbps/Full Hard, it still seems to "negotiate." That is why it ends up as 100Mbps/Full. Strictly speaking, if it does not negotiate, then it should fall back to 100Mbps/Half. This is just my opinion based on the test results.

Event Viewer Data: When reviewing System Event Viewer data, filtered by Source: e1cexpress, we noticed the following:

• On a PC without any issues (e.g., embedded 82567LM-3) or with the 82579LM set to auto-auto, we will only see one entry for e1cexpress (Event 33). We have hundreds of desktops in an environment set to 100/Hard on both ends and we've never encountered this problem.

• On the PC's we tested with the embedded 82579LM ethernet controller, we noticed that there will always be 2 e1cexpress entries in the event viewer (either 34 then 33; or 27 then 33). Again, if we set the 82579LM to auto and set the switch to auto as well, we only get 1 e1cexpress event viewer entry.

Event ID Descriptions:

• Event ID 27: Network link is disconnected.

• Event ID 33: Network link has been established at 100Mbps full duplex.

• Event ID 34: Network link has been established at 100Mbps half duplex.

Let us know if you have any suggestions on what else we can try to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We tried the same scenario on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and the problem is the same as described in my earlier post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

It seems that v16.5 does not resolve the issues we're having. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Sorry, I don't have a solution except to set both sides to auto, which you have observed will work. Setting one side to auto and the other side of the link to a forced setting is not a supported option, so even though the observations are interesting, that configuration is not valid. Also, duplex is not auto-negotiatied, which is why you get strange results when the two link partners are not configured identically.

On the other hand, forcing both sides to 100 Mbps Full duplex is a valid configuration and should work.Except for setting both sides to auto, I don't have a logical explanation or solution. Since the network connections are built in, make sure that you watch for BIOS updates that could affect the network connection and watch for future updates to your driver.

Also keep a close eye on the other conversations for similar problems and possible solutions. I have not been able to keep a close watch on the conversations recently, so I might miss something.

I wish I could offer you a better solution or explanation, but this is the best I can come up with right now. If I come across anything, I will post it.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Mark for your reply. We'll watch out for any further BIOS or driver updates.

Meanwhile, we'll also investigate migrating from our current forced 100 Mbps/Full on the PC and the switch to setting both sides to Auto-Auto.

I was wondering if you are aware of any script or tool that will allow us to change the NIC's speed without having to go through the properties of each PC. That would be helpful if we decide to switch to Auto-Auto.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@one19,

Sorry I did not reply to your question. I completely missed this. In case anyone is wondering about the script question, you could use our save and restore VBS script for setting changes. At least this should work for like configurations.

If you have Intel(R) PROSet installed on your computers, then the script described at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-028693.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-028693.htm is already present. You could create the text file output from one of the computers and then use the script to "restore" the same configuration to each of the other adapters. This would configure all settings on all computers identically and would not be limited to the speed and duplex setting.

You could also use the prosetcl.exe utility (see http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006259.htm http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006259.htm) to configure only the speed and duplex setting. You can see a step through of the command line settings using prosetcl to configure speed and duplex at /message/86858# 86858 http://communities.intel.com/message/86858# 86858. However, using this utility inside a script would require a more complicated script to enumerate the adapters and capture the index value of the adapter that needs to have the configuration changed. Using the VBS script would be simpler.

You can also use WMI to script configuration of adapters. See http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9405&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9405&lang=eng for the documentation. However, if you're not used to using WMI, this might be the most complicated solution.

Note that when you run any script or configuration utility, the "user" running the script will need to have administrator level permissions on the machine or the configuration changes will fail.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any updates on this? I have tried everything to get this card to maintain a 100/full duplex setting on a Lenovo M91p, but it is not working.

0 Kudos