Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Discovery of CPU with wmi and cpuinfo - inconsitencies

idata
Employee

Hi,

We are running discovery tools to populate our CMDB. One of the items disocvered is the CPU make, model and number of cores.

There are some inconsistencies in the number of cores reported, that hopefully the community can help me understand.

On Windows machines the tool uses wmi queries and on Linux machines parses the output from cpuinfo.

We have, for example, 2 servers with E5335 Xeons, one is revision 3851, stepping 11. The other is revision 3847, stepping 7.

The rev 3851 is reported as having 4 cores, the rev 3847 is reported as having 2 cores.

Does anyone know why the OS would report different values ?

There are other examples of this with E7330 models, where Linux reports 2 cores and Windows 4 cores.

Thanks in advance for any info.

John

:wq

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello John,

My first thought is the Linux* operating system is not working or detecting all the cores on the processor (might be a limitation) or the processor is defective (I highly doubt it). The best way to determine if is an OS limitation or a hardware problem is boot to the BIOS screen and check the number of cores listed (it will depend of the BIOS use by the board manufacturer).

There is other option:

Use the Intel processor ID utility (certify toll) on Windows. It will tell you all the processor information including the number of cores. There is not Linux* version, but you could try a bootable version, that may work. You can get the information and download from the following link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Processors&ProductLine=Processor+Utilities&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Processor+Identification+Utility http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Processors&ProductLine=Processor+Utilities&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Processor+Identification+Utility

Best regards,

0 Kudos