Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Increasing dedicated memory.

idata
Employee

Hello,

I've read around the internet and noticed something very interesting. That the computer manufacturer sets the video memory at a certain number rather than at max. I did a little research and noticed that my dedicated memory is 64 mb and my Dispaly memory is 1696 mb. I being a big gamer would like to know how to increase my dedicated memory to something higher than 64(Maybe max or 1.2mb)

Inforamtion about my computer is an Inspiron 17R

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron N7010

BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A04 PARTTBL

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460

Display devices:

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_04571028&REV_18

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (16 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LGD021D

Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.085Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2104 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2104

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
20 Replies
idata
Employee

Sorry to say, there is little if anything that you can do to adjust the amount of memory dedicated to video/graphics. You can't change that in Windows.

If you are lucky, there might be an option in your PC's BIOS that lets you change the amount of system memory used for video/graphics. Given that you have integrated graphics in your laptop, you just might have that option. You'll just need to find it in the BIOS, if it exists. The BIOS options vary so much in PCs, it is impossible for me to tell you exactly where it is, but likely is in the Advanced settings. Usually it only allows you to choose between two settings, you can't enter it yourself.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Squinteezy,

I see that you want to increase the amount of dedicated memory for video on your computer using the Intel(R) graphics controller.

In regards to your inquire, the Intel(R) graphics controllers do no use dedicated memory on their own, they use shared memory that is taken from the RAM memory installed on your computer.

The feature that sets the amount of memory that is used for video is called Intel(R) Dynamic Video Memory Technology and this will make the graphics controller only to use the amount of RAM memory that it requires to run the different applications or software's. There is no way to preset this to an specific value, you can only limit the maximum memory that it can take. You will see this option usually in BIOS and you will have 3 options, 128MB, 256MB and maximum DVMT. Other values can be found as 512MB, etc but this depend on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM memory installed on your computer.

Please note that you are only able to set the maximum and not the minimum.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi everybody i have the same question! but my laptop is a 15R N5010 i3

inter(r) core(tm) i3 cpu m 350 @ 2.27ghz (cpu:0)

nucleos 2

sub-procesos 4

memory

4gb

hard disk

toshiba 500.1gb

and its say Graphic memory available : 1696mb

dedicated video memory: 64mb

i goes to the BIOs and i saw all the options and i didnt see any option to upgrade it to the max PLEASE tell me how can i change it because its so frustratin when u try to play any game i have 1 month with the computer my fasther bought it in EEUU im from Dominican Republic and im living here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

bboyfrost, There is nothing you can do to increase the memory available for your graphics, but it doesn't matter at all. You have almost 1.7GB available for graphics use, that means if it is needed by a game, it will use it. 95% of the graphics cards in desktop PCs have 1.0GB installed on them, you have more memory than you will ever use for a game. The graphics in most laptops is not the best, since a very good graphics card for a desktop PC costs at least $200.

Memory is not the problem with your games, it is the graphics system, or the settings in the game. Adjust the settings in the game to a lower resolution and try different settings. The game might not look quite as good, but it will play better. Don't have any other programs running while playing a game, and have your laptop connected to the charger, not running just on the battery. Keep your laptop on a hard, smooth surface so it stays cooler. Good luck!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P775, in December of 2011. I am now finding out that there are games that will not play on this laptop due to requirements for a greater level of dedicated memory. Please provide a solution for this...

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBASystem Model: Satellite P775BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/21/11 15:26:22 Ver: AMI APTIO 1.50Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHzMemory: 6144MB RAMAvailable OS Memory: 6050MB RAMPage File: 2969MB used, 9130MB availableDirectX Version: DirectX 11DX Setup Parameters: Not foundUser DPI Setting: Using System DPISystem DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)DWM DPI Scaling: DisabledDxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_FC001179&REV_09

Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: AUO139E

Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.112Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2430 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2430

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 6/27/2011 11:55:46, 8296960 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4256-11CF-B77B-0ADCA9C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0116

SubSys ID: 0xFC001179

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iSNBM0_C0:8.15.10.2430:pci\ven_8086&dev_0116&subsys_fc001179

Rank Of Driver: 00E60001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is a fairly big problem with the Intel(R) HD Graphics chipset, and I could also use advice please Mr. Admin.

Here's what you pull up when you do a directX printout of your system if you're like me (I have a Toshiba Satellite):

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0106&SUBSYS_FCE01179&REV_09

Herein lies our problem, and I don't think Toshiba and Intell really realize this problem - SO HEADS UP AND PAY ATTENTION

Many of the new games out there scan specifically for "Dedicated memory." If the game does not detect a specific amount of dedicated memory, then it won't even start up (Battlefield 3 does this, and a few others too). I personally think that what Intell has done with shared memory is brilliant. It eliminates the need for a big bulky graphics card whose power is only used during demanding games, and allows resources that would normally only be used for video to be used for other programs when necissary. This creates a more versatile and efficient system; which, is especially desirable in labtops where space is a premium.

However. Intell forgot that by doing this they would be making graphic cards (and thusly graphic card manufacturers) obsolete, or perhaps this was their intention all along. In any case, you can't expect the graphics card manufacturers to lie down and go out of business so easily. So, what did they do? They leveraged their partnerships with the gaming industry and made it to where the games would check in advance for dedicated memory before they ran. Thus, it doesn't matter how powerful a machine you buy with an Intel HD Graphics chipset, you still won't be able to play your game because of the politics of the gaming industry.

Now, leveraging this asshattery even further, NVidia and other graphics card manufacturers have decided to start making their own line of labtops. So, not only do you have to buy the game, but you have to buy a specialized "gaming labtop" made by one of the graphics card manufacturers. No doubt EA and other gaming companies make a bit of a cut off of the profits made from the sale of these specialized, and very inefficient, labtops.

So, in synopsis, the reason you can't play your game on your "plenty powerful enough to play your game" labtop is becuase of corporate warfare. God bless capitalism.

The only way that this problem will be solved is if Intell installs a method in the bios or otherwise that enables gamers to dictate the specific amount of dedicated memory that they want allocated to video RAM. If Intell doesn't catch on, they will suffer a big hit to their popularity and market share.

What I want to know is: Is this problem known, and if so - is there a way for me to play Battlefield 3 and other advanced games with an Intell HD video chipseet? I know my machine has well and above enough processing power and memory to play these games, but the game is still refusing to play.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

You are right. Some games doesn't start with a low dedicated video RAM. The Bios guideline should allow that users can change the dedicated RAM to 512 MB at least. Asrock Boards can do this, most others can't.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For somereason my dedicated memory says 128mb and then it maxes upto 1.76GB ram. But of cource this is all shared memory. But I was wondering about this but can I play BF3 with the latest drivers from Intel? Like the version 8.15.10.2622 that just came out recently? It seems people are so far saying that the game won't even start and I thought it would play but does everyone so far that have Intel HD graphics card won't run this game? Or is it just few people can't play it? When I talked to some people on other forums they said it will run the game but have to set it to low settings and low res but if the game won't even start then I should not buy the game at all. Does everyone have the problem about starting BF3 on Intel HD graphics?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

BF3 is running in HD 3000 with 15-20fps at low settings at 1280*720p

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am not able to run this game on 3000 intel graphics card.

will you please tell me how can i run?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 17r, one of the claim on site is that it has 1gb of dedicated graphics ram, but when testing it on canyourunit.com it only comes up with 64mgs of dedicated video ram. My info is below;

Dell System Inspiron N7110

GeneralServiceTag

Windows VersionMicrosoft Windows 7 UltimateProcessorModelIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHzHard DriveDriveSizeFree SpaceUtilizedC:446.13 Gb403.88 Gb9 % Video AdaptersModelMemoryIntel(R) HD Graphics Family-1269 MbMemoryTotal6144 MbAvailable73 % SlotSizeSpeedTypeSlot 14096 Mb1333 MhzUnknownSlot 22048 Mb1333 MhzUnknownAvailable Slots0

Maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't I have more than 64mgs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

well i think intel Should give more Performance to some Old Graphics like intel GMA 3100 Like Mine

That i can't go on windows 7 and play a Game because of that 64MB thing Windows 7 steal's me the hole Graphic memory....

but I read in some place (Don't remember Well where it Was) that the drivers for GMA was blocking the Max performance of the graphics and i want to know if that it's true because i'm Stuck'd in Windows Xp because i Don't want to go and play a game with 64MB :S

i request reply pease

thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have mobile intel 4 series express chipset family(intel GMA 4500MHD). it has 64 mb of dedicated vram. there is a community called Teknogod which provides modded drivers for integrated cards. for GMA4500MHD it is called "RoyalBna". It increases vram to 128 mb and with other significant improvements in performance. So it is quite possible to increase Dedicated vram by mooding drivers. this can be applied to Intel HD 3000 by anyone with some knowledge of C++ or C# to make modded drivers.on linux or ubuntu which provide more free room for such things.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Re: Increasing my DEDICATED MEMORY !!

I own a HP Pavilion dv4-2103tu Entertainment PC. My Dedicated Video Memory is 64MB. The Total Available Graphics Memory is 1307MB. Can i increase my Dedicated Video Memory to 128MB or more ?. Please let me know asap.

My System configurations are as under:-

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

System Manufacturer: Hp

System Model: dv4 pavilion-2103tu

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330

Display devices:

Card name: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Chip type: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD(Core i3)

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1307 MB

System Video Memory: 0 MB

Shared Memory: 1243 MB

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Depends on your Bios but I guess not since it's a Notebook with limited Bios options usually.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey guys i have Intel HD Graphics 3000

I had windows 7 and I had 64mb of dedicated memory but now i have 32mb of dedicated memory under windows 8

So can anyone helps me to have again 64mb under windows 8 and Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have an Intel Core i3 processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000. I'm not sure how to get a copy of all that computer information, but when I go to my BIOS settings the option to select my dedicated video ram is grayed out and unselectable at 128 MB. I assume that means I cant change anything, but if anyone has anything different or can confirm my fears, that would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
KParr
Beginner

Hello,

I would like to ask why I cannot change the amount of dedicated video memory. I suspect that it is grey because I cannot change it but if you have an idea on how I can change it, please don't hesitate to tell. If not, I believe my fears are true.

> I have a Dual-Core processor

> Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics - (128MB Dedicated Video Memory - Default - & 1760MB in total)

Any ways, thanks.

0 Kudos
PRoe
Beginner

I see how old this post is, but I wanted to say something: Click Start> in "Run" type (msconfig) without brackets and press Enter

Click Boot tab> Click "Advanced Options" and you CAN check the "Maximum memory" box. This will allocate all possible shared RAM to your video RAM. This is the BEST you can do.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your feedback, this is a good option how to increase the dedicated video memory

0 Kudos