Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14550 Discussions

need help with p/4 630 prescott 3.0ghz l2cache lga775 EM64T processor please is ther anyone who might know?

idata
Employee

i am trying to reformat HD from xp home 32 bit to xp pro 64 bit and it wont let me says i cant use thsi version of windows on this machine , ive checked the wd raptor HD that is capable , also my mobo is asus p4p800-vm and that 2 is also capable of 64 bit so i looked into the processor ,and it seems that it is not 64 bit capable, my question is is there a way to change this either in the software or even by changing my processor and still using the same mobo??please if anyone could help ? TY for your time in this matter

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

According to the following website this processor supports 64 bits:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27478&code=Intel%C2%AE+Pentium%C2%AE+4+Processor+630+supporting+HT+Technology+(2M+Cache%2c+3.00+GHz%2c+800+MHz+FSB) http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27478&code=Intel%C2%AE+Pentium%C2%AE+4+Processor+630+supporting+HT+Technology+(2M+Cache%2c+3.00+GHz%2c+800+MHz+FSB)

Instruction Set : 64 bits

So I would recommend running the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility to verify if the system is properly recognizing the processor.

You can download the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility at:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

If it reports that the processor supports 64 bits, then I would suggest contacting Microsoft* Corporation to determine the reason that you cannot install the 64 bits version of your operating system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i DLed the intel processor identification utility. it reported that intel (r) 64 architecture was no. under information about intel (r) 64 bit architecture

In case you cannot read the screen shot....it says :

Intel(R) 64 Architecture

64-bit computing on Intel architechture requires a computer systemwith a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel(R) 64 architechture. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Consult with your system vendor for more information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your Motherboard has a socket 478. There are no Prescott cpu's for socket LGA 478. There are no 64-bit capable socket 478 cpu's as far as i know. The first 64-bit where made for socket 775. According to the Intel CPU Id utility, you have a P4 3.00E Processor which only has Hyperthreading and 800 FSB and 1MB L2 Cache memory.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Doc I had to read this post four times before it hit me ,He's asking about changing the operating Sys. From 32 bit to 64 bit , That would be a good trick if you could do it ,, I don't think this has anything to do with the CPU.??

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Intel makes a 64 bit CPU that works in a 478 socket But it's a mobil CPU you could use it but you would probably have to fabricate a cooler to make sure you had good cooling . the cpu is a T7200. dual core at 2.0 800Mhz

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe you've got some things mixed-up. T7200 is mobile processor but a Core 2 Duo one, meaning not a Pentium 4. It is compatible with sockets PBGA479, PPGA478 which are mobile sockets (correct), but not pin compatible with Desktop Socket 478. ASUS was the only company in those days that produced an adapter for Pentium M to socket 478 (ASUS's CT-479 Pentium-M to Socket 478 Upgrade Kit) and it was only compatible with some socket 478 Asus motherboards (P4C800-E Deluxe,P4P800-VM and P4P800 SE) with certain Bios versions only, and it came with fun cpu fun.

It supported only the following Families of Intel Pentium M CPU's:

Dothan 1.5GHz~2.26+ GHz

Baines 1.3GHz~1.7+ GHz

Celeron M 1.2GHz~1.7+ GHz

* Intel® Pentium® M processor Low Voltage & Ultra Low are NOT supported by this product.

These families run with FSB 400/533.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You are probably right , If I was this guy I would get a new Board and a new CPU , Because I think he's beating a dead horse.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You can not ( reformat ) a Operating System from 32 bit to 64 bit , If you want to run 64 bit OS , you need to buy a new OS , windows XP Pro 64 Bit are on Ebay for about $60.00, New.

0 Kudos