Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Driver Wont Install & Random Computer Freezes - Win 7 x64

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am trying to install the latest Intel Graphics Driver for my i7-2600 processor, running on a Gigabyte H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard.

I am running Windows 7 x64.

When I try to install the latest driver for x64 [Ver 8.15.10.2342] it displays the following error:

"The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. Setup will exit".

I am also experiencing random computer freezes like many other users and cannot get to the bottom of it.

I used the CPU-Z program to check my current display drivers - # 1 says Intel HD graphics 1000 (GT1) - 2nd is my video card which is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460.

My computer has 8GB ram which is on the compatibility list for this motherboard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

About the driver issue i had the same problem with the version Win7Vista_152113 within is the Ver 8.15.10.2342 it said the same "The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. Setup will exit". But mine in 32b so i renamed the file to,Win7Vista_152113.rar and extract all content and tried to install it thru the device manager console with the update driver option and targeting to the Graphics folder that i extracted, but again gave me error but this this time said somethin about some missing "mui" i looked for it inside folders and found muis in lang folders one in main and other in Graphics, i got also Win7Vista_152112 so i extracted the content and copy lang folder from Graphics folder and replace that same folder in Win7Vista_152113, rerun the setup again this time error again but not inmediatilly like first time,about 5 secs later, so i copied the Lang folder from main in Win7Vista_152112 and replaced that in Win7Vista_152113, rerun setup again in this time no errors succesfull installation, im running win7 x86 on an Asrock H55M-Pro, Core I3 540, with the card HD5670, that MB let me to use both vid cards at same time i use DVI and HDMI from ATI and the DVI from the MB, thats why i needed that driver, but if you only use the ports from your GTX 460 dont need to install that driver is only needed when video ports from MB are in use. Maybe just need the updated driver from Nvidia.

About other error dont know, but what storage mode u use ATA IDE or AHCI, but when i changed to AHCI no more freezes since then, and also installed the file IATACD.exe from intel, u find it in Chipsets/Desktop Chipsets/Intel chipset Serie 6/ http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19607&ProdId=3301&lang=spa Intel® Rapid Storage tecnology

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

About the driver issue i had the same problem with the version Win7Vista_152113 within is the Ver 8.15.10.2342 it said the same "The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. Setup will exit". But mine in 32b so i renamed the file to,Win7Vista_152113.rar and extract all content and tried to install it thru the device manager console with the update driver option and targeting to the Graphics folder that i extracted, but again gave me error but this this time said somethin about some missing "mui" i looked for it inside folders and found muis in lang folders one in main and other in Graphics, i got also Win7Vista_152112 so i extracted the content and copy lang folder from Graphics folder and replace that same folder in Win7Vista_152113, rerun the setup again this time error again but not inmediatilly like first time,about 5 secs later, so i copied the Lang folder from main in Win7Vista_152112 and replaced that in Win7Vista_152113, rerun setup again in this time no errors succesfull installation, im running win7 x86 on an Asrock H55M-Pro, Core I3 540, with the card HD5670, that MB let me to use both vid cards at same time i use DVI and HDMI from ATI and the DVI from the MB, thats why i needed that driver, but if you only use the ports from your GTX 460 dont need to install that driver is only needed when video ports from MB are in use. Maybe just need the updated driver from Nvidia.

About other error dont know, but what storage mode u use ATA IDE or AHCI, but when i changed to AHCI no more freezes since then, and also installed the file IATACD.exe from intel, u find it in Chipsets/Desktop Chipsets/Intel chipset Serie 6/ http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19607&ProdId=3301&lang=spa Intel® Rapid Storage tecnology

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your very informative post, I have not had any freezing events after changing to AHCI mode, well done!

For other users, here is a step by step method for enabling AHCI mode in Windows 7 that has been first installed in IDE mode:

1. Startup "Regedit

2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services

3. Open msahci

4. In the right field, right click on "start" and go to Modify

5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"

6. exit "Regedit"

7. Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting)

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, and the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs to rebootone more time.

Credit goes to the original post here (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676 http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676), which I modified ever so slightly.

In terms of my other problem concerning the Intel HD graphics driver update, again your post got me thinking and I realised that I had to have a monitor physically connected to the mainboard VGA or DVI port in order to update the driver. Of course the bios also has to have both the on-chip VGA and my additional graphics card enabled.

Anyways, many thanks and I consider this one solved. Hope it helps others out there with the same frustrating problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the post. I tried 2342 and when my computer boot up, it goes to Windows for 10 secs, refresh the screen like crazy and it just died and went to BSOD dump the memory state. So just to make sure, if I follow your direction and enable to AHCI by regedit and reboot changing it in the BIOS, after that I should be able to install latest 2342 and later Intel Graphic driver w/o problem, right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The AHCI mode have nothing to do with graphics its about how system handle the HD, if u can start in safe mode by pressing F8 from there u can uninstall that driver, i would recommend that u install Win7Vista_152112 instead of Win7Vista_152113 for me it´s safer than new one, if u got the DVD of windows can perform a system restore from there by startin up the the system from the DVD, i installed the Win7Vista_152113 and so far no issues at all, but had to do all the process that i told u. Hope this help u, good luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To clarify, I had two seperate problems:

Problem (1) Random freezing events in Window 7 Ultimate x64 that were forcing me to hard reboot each time (this was happening frequently)

Problem (2) Unable to update the intel HD graphics driver for my i7-2600 processor to the latest version

Problem (1) was solved by changing to AHCI mode using the process above. I have not had a freezing event since. However, this solution is likely dependent upon your processor and motherboard. Mine are listed in my post for reference.

Problem (2) was solved by physically connecting a monitor to the display port on my motherboard [MB] (in this case the VGA port, although the DVI port would have worked as well). Prior to this I had two monitors connected to my Nvidia GTX460 graphics card and I was unable to install the latest Intel HD Graphics Driver. Also the internal Intel MB graphics was not showing up in the device manager until a physical monitor was connected to it. My BIOS settings also required changing to enable both my Nvidia Graphics card and the internal Intel HD Graphics to operate at the same time. Now I can run 3 or i suppose 4 monitors if I wish.

This worked for me, however I can gather from spd5mx post that he/she faced a different problem when attempting to update the Intel HD graphics drivers. Their solution might be more relevant for your setup.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have intel i7-2600 and when i install intel hd graphics it says your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for installing the software. i have a 32-bit version of windows7 ultimate sp1 and nvidia GE FORCE 8400gs graphics card. please help me to install intel hd graphics

idata
Employee

That driver is only needed when onboard graphics is in use, if u connect the display in GEforce 8400 dont need it. If your motherboard have DVI and Vga ports and u use both onboard and GEforce at same time also is needed.Hope be useful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks it helped but there is a new problem.intel hd graphics.device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

freelance writer

0 Kudos
sA101
Beginner

Install only secondary graphics PC EXPRESS CARD IN NVIDIA.COM ,AUTO DETECT UR DRIVER AND SHOW U TO DOWNLOAD ONLY IN INTERNET EXPLORER NOT IN FIREFOX OR CHROME

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hello guys

i have i5 32 bit and a dh55tc motherboard which has built in intel hd card

I have a probbbbbbbbbbbbblem:

when i installed the windows 7 ultiamte on my pc it only gives standard vga card installed

i downloaded the driver from intel and installed it windows freezes on the desktop wallpaper and explorer doesnt even start

i tried another drriver but it does the same thing so i enter to the safe mode and uninstall it again

i tried for the intel website here to check it self for the best driver and still when it gives me the same files to download

i cant install a graphics card on my pc guys:S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had a same problem. I resolved with a easy solution. In the BIOS disable C3/C6 state support in the menu "Frequency settings" => "Advanced CPU core features".

0 Kudos