Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Icons and windows moving when DisplayPort 4K monitor wakes from sleep

MBrod
Novice

Hi,

I have a Core-i5 6500 CPU in my desktop with HD530 graphics in Windows 10 latest updates and Intel .4501 driver.

I am using three monitors in extended mode:

Dell U2311h 1920x1080 (100% scaling, DVI)______LG 27UD68 3840x2160 (150% scaling, DisplayPort 1.2, Main display)______Dell U2311h 1920x1080 (100% scaling, HDMI to DVI cable).

I've also seen the same issue on a Dell XPS13 9350 laptop with an external DisplayPort monitor, also using different scaling settings since the laptop's display has a very high resolution.

When the Displayport monitor goes to sleep, it seems like it is disconnected from the computer. When the monitors wake up, windows switches the Main Display to a secondary monitor for a second or two while the DisplayPort monitor is getting detected again, and I think it is in this process that icons and windows get moved.

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

The auto arrange and align to grid should be selected, please make sure you have this set through desktop right click menu.

Please let me know if you can test straight video cables because I have noticed you are using DVI to HDMI

Allan.
0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Hi Allan,

Those steps don't help, windows are still moved to another (non-DisplayPort) monitor when they wake from sleep, and icons move around.

I work in IT and I'm really not looking to troubleshoot this as I have pretty much identified the problem in my first post. (and reproduced the problem on completely different hardware) The solution would be to keep the DisplayPort monitor connection alive when they go to sleep, as it is with HDMI or DVI monitors. I know it's expected behavior for DisplayPort to disconnect when sleeping, but some monitors have a workaround in their menu to keep the connection alive. I think this could be added to the Intel Graphics drivers.

Maybe you can pass this on to the driver team?

Thanks

idata
Employee

I understand, please fill out the following form as much as possible and I will forward the information to the appropriate department.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Allan.

0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Using Intel HD 530 Graphics with one DisplayPort monitor and one DVI monitor, with different scaling factors. When the monitors are put to sleep and woken up, all opened windows on the DisplayPort monitor are moved to the DVI monitor and desktop icons are moved randomly. It seems to be caused by the DisplayPort monitor being disconnected from the system when put to sleep.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Gigabyte Z170X-UD5, Core i5-6500

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel only

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information.

I have tried to replicate the problem but I did not get any issues so far. I was able to wake up the monitors but everything was saved correctly.

I would say this will be video cables, graphics drivers or the operating system.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Thank you for trying to replicate the problem. What brand/model 4k monitor were you using?

I will try a clean install of Windows 10 on another drive with the latest iso from Microsoft and newest Intel drivers. I'll post results next week.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I have tried to replicate this matter using LG UHD TV 55UH6500 and HP Z27s.

The LG TV does not have Display port but I tried HDMI to Display port cable and I did not experience any issues.

Allan.
0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

HP monitors usually have a setting called "DP Hot-Plug Detection" in their OSD, under "Input Control". Setting this to "Always Active" bypasses the problem described, where a DisplayPort monitor is disconnected from the system when it is put to sleep.

Try with one of those HP Z27s (connected with DisplayPort 1.2 and the "DP Hot-Plug Detection" setting turned off) + any 1920x1080 DVI or HDMI monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have an update about this matter. We were able to replicate this issue with the latest graphics drivers. We are currently reviewing as it could be operating system related. I will update this thread as news become available.

In the meantime, please test the following driver:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Let me know your findings.

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Were you able to install driver version 4300? Please let me know if you still need assistance on this issue.

Allan.
0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Not yet, I'll try them on a clean install of Windows 10 1607 on another hard drive when I have time. Since you were able to replicate the issue, did 4300 solve the problem for you?

This is my work computer and don't want to do driver testing on this installation of Windows. Version 4300 drivers are from a year ago...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I have been testing several driver versions and the driver 4300 does not seem to have this problem.

Allan.
0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Hi,

I tried driver version 4300 and have the same problem.

I also tried version 4364 that are posted on the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 motherboard download page, same problem.

Back to 4501 for now, will be ordering a PCIE video card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate this feedback. I will forward it to the appropriate team.

Allan.
0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

0 Kudos
MBrod
Novice

dxDiag Part 2

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the reports.

I have forwarded this information to the appropriate team. I will update this thread when I get news about this matter.

Allan.
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for your patience, Intel is still working on methods to address this issue, any update on this matter will be posted at

/thread/102613 windows 10 Graphic drivers for 4k Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q monitor?

Allan.

0 Kudos