Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Proset wireless drivers AC 7260, cant install newer drivers

AAz_k
Beginner

Problems installing latest proset wireless drivers, trying to install 19.2.0, and i cannot. It keeps telling me the older version cannot be removed.

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{5368D82D-CAA5-48CC-9017-5BAAAB87591B}v18.40.4\data\ <-- cant find this, even tho i removed the drivers and reinstalled that version (18.40.4) several times, no matter what, i cant get past that version with the intel installer.

What gives?

Asus NJ 550V (i installed the AC7260 myself), Windows 10, tried in both build 1511 and 1607

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Alexusz,

In this particular case that you can't uninstall a previous driver version of the Intel® Wireless Adapter it may be that the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) restricts the installation of any other drivers but the ones offered in the support page.

We also understand that you replaced the original wireless adapter for this the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. Please know that integration is not supported by Intel and it may be that this specific system has proprietary drivers that won't allow installation from an outside source other than their own support page. We recommend to contact ASUS* for additional support on their system and also, check the with them about compatibility. For your convenience, here is the link to the support section of your ASUS* laptop: https://www.asus.com/search/results.aspx?SearchKey=N550JV&IsSupport=True N550JV Support

Please, check this link in order to find out as to why such procedure is not supported by Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

On our best effort to assist you, here is a step-by-step procedure on how to perform a clean installation of the drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26240 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Please note that this driver package is 19.10.0 and the driver version for this adapter is 18.33.3.2

1. Download and save the latest generic drivers from our donwload center for this adapter if it is not available from ASUS* support page. Here is the link to our download center:

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 or other remaining information on the previous adapter and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
AAz_k
Beginner

I'll give step 2 a try tomorrow, thanks.

This seems to me like a driver bug tho, not incompability, since this has worked for years for me. and its just that the folder isnt being created properly with v18.40.4.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alexusz,

Intel is in compliance with every country's regulations in order to have our wireless adapter operating in certain frequencies as this is ruled by each country's radio frequency regulatory laws.

Our software will install automatically, if you are experiencing any issue creating the folders you need, it could be related to the OS or permissions according to the regulatory laws in your country. Please, follow the procedure informed above and if necessary, please engage ASUS* for additional support and check if there isn't any restrictions.

Please bear in mind that Intel® Wireless Adapters are not meant to be sold to end-users, they are to be used by OEM and/or authorized integrator as they may apply customization and adaptations that are unique to their system.

We are more than glad to clarify your doubts and help you in any way possible, but unfortunately, our support gets limited to the steps we have provided you above.

Could you please try the step for a clean installation and see if works for you? In this particular case, ASUS* is till your best option as they own the system in which the adapter is installed. It is important to consider that the adapter may not be fully compatible with this specific system such as voltage...etc.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alexusz,

We hope it works for you and help you to resolve this situation.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
AAz_k
Beginner

Ok, got it working.

The uninstalling in device manager did nothing (including deleting the drivers as far as i could go), uninstalling via intels uninstaller in 18.40.4 failed, also Windows control panel also failed.

These are the steps that got it working for me, did this by trial and error, so all steps may not be required.

Downgraded to Windows build 1511 (not sure this is required).

Used Geek uninstaller to force the uninstall of intels WifI and WIDI software, including removing all registry related entries.

Reboot

Reinstall 18.40.4

Now hit the installer for 18.40.4 once again and try to uninstall (it should fail, also not sure this is required)

Hit the installer for 18.40.4 once again, now press repair, it should repair successfully.

Reboot

Install 19.2.0

Reboot

(it did not work for me to upgrade/install 19.2.0 directly after forcing the uninstall of 18.40.4)

Newest drivers should be installed now.

Upgraded to build 1607 sucessfully, drivers are working.

Seems to be a bug in intels installer, somewhere.

0 Kudos