Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Intel 3945ABG can't install new driver afer uninstall old (XP)

idata
Employee

When I attempt to download and run install of the new driver, I receive a message telling me I can not update the driver from my old driver but must first manually uninstall the driver.

I downloaded and saved the new driver file: ICS_x32

I uninstalled the old driver as per the instructions at intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025395.htm ("Intel WiFi Products , Uninstall Wi-Fi adapter driver" page).

When I then attempt to install the new driver (clicking on, starting the new driver file) ICS_x32, I receive the same message that I cannot install the driver but must first uninstall the installed driver. However, now no driver is installed.

I have an ASUS-WF5 laptop with Windows XP with network adapter

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Using Intel Driver Update Utility I find this info:

Current Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed: 10.5.0.3

Newer Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Available: 13.3.0.0

How do I install the needed new driver?

error message reads:

This version can not upgrade from the current older product. Please uninstall the older product manually.

However, as stated above, the older product has already been manually installed and no longer appears in the Device Manager.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Go to Windows' "Add/Remove Programs"

Look for "Intel Proset/Wireless software" program

Click on "Remove" to uninstall the Proset program

Once uninstall is complete, that's the time you can install the latest version.

The link above only removed the adapter's driver but not the Proset/Wireless software so when you are installing the latest Proset Software, it tells you that an older version of this software is present in your system.

hope this helps!

Message was edited by: ichun&# 13; &# 13; you may refer to the link below &# 13; http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030416.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030416.htm&# 13; &# 13;

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm thinking of updating my PROWireless driver like you did. After you did the upgrade to the new driver/etc did you notice any performance improvement ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually, I never updated the driver. I got advice from two computer tech (independent repair techs) that it's not smart to update something like this unless it's required or advised because of some other change, such as internal hardware change. If it's working, I was advised that the slight benefit in performance of some upgrade was not worth the potential conflicts that could arise with the old hardware, glitches from the install process, etc. Best to keep the driver version installed that was working (or reinstall that version from disc that came with computer). Unless trying to solve some problem, I was advised that the upgrade of the driver isn't worth the potential hassle.

But let me know if you decide to upgrade and find performance improved.

- Miles

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don:

I went back to look at my notes.

I found this chat with Intel support saved in my email.

I know I later confirmed with an independent tech repair person that avoiding upgrades if not needed is best. But the first to voice this was Intel support (via chat)!

See below. (I removed my email address.)

- Miles

. . . . . .

From: admin <</span>mailto:noreply@intel.com noreply@intel.com>

Date: Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Subject: Transcript of your chat

To: "mhm @

General Info

Chat start time Nov 2, 2010 11:03:12 AM EST

Chat end time Nov 2, 2010 11:23:49 AM EST

Duration (actual chatting time) 00:20:37

Operator Nathalie

Chat Transcript

info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.

info: You are now chatting with 'Nathalie '

Nathalie : Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today?

mhm @: Intel 3945ABG on XP, can't install new driver afer uninstall old When I attempt to download and run install of the new driver, I receive a message telling me I can not update the driver from my old driver but must first manually uninstall the driver. I downloaded and saved the new driver file: ICS_x32 I uninstalled the old driver as per the instructions at intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025395.htm ("Intel WiFi Products , Uninstall Wi-Fi adapter driver" page). When I then attempt to install the new driver (clicking on, starting the new driver file) ICS_x32, I receive the same message that I cannot install the driver but must first uninstall the installed driver. However, now no driver is installed. I have an ASUS-WF5 laptop with Windows XP with network adapter Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection Using Intel Driver Update Utility I find this info: Current Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed: 10.5.0.3 Newer Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Available: 13.3.0.0 How do I install the needed new driver? error message reads: This version can not upgrade from the current older product. Please uninstall the older product manually. However, as stated above, the older product has already been manually installed and no longer appears in the Device Manager. Thanks. - Miles mhm @

Nathalie : Hello Miles, I understand that you cannot install the new drivers since it says you still have an old driver installed, this points to corruption in the Operating System, you may try doing a system restore to a date previous to the uninstall, or try the CD that came with your laptop. Also was there a particular reason why you tried to update the drivers other than the driver update utility telling you there is a newer version?

mhm @: I was setting up a new Router, thought to check for updates. Do I not need to update? Should I not bother? (Yes, I can go back to a System Restore point.)

Nathalie : what happens with software updates (as well as BIOS) is that unless if you experience an issue you should leave it the way it is, in the case of laptop components, specially, since each component is customized, it also uses customized drivers which should be obtained from the computer manufacturer to avoid a system malfunction, (also the network adapter you have is an older one, and there have not been actual updates to the operating of the hardware it is just software update)

mhm @ : excellent info. thanks so much. Bye.
0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

There is a lot of debate as to if it is better to update or not.

A lot of support folks will say NO, if it is working don't update.

But, would you reject a microsoft update because everything is fine?

Companys do not release new code for old hardware for fun. New code is released to fix issues.

The real question is how likely are you to experience the issue that the new code is design to fix?

If you have a problem, update.

(The back end engineering will not even look at an issue until it has been reproduced on the latest code stack)

If it is working well, you do have a risk of creating issues when new code is loaded?. (mostly do to conflicts with other drivers and code)

Mostly I would say no, if it an't broke, don't fix it. (but if it is not broken, why are you reading a support forum?)

0 Kudos