Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 can't always connect to 5GHz SSID

DCumm1
Beginner

I recently purchased an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 wireless card for my Dell XPS 8500 desktop running Windows 7. I have it installed including the latest driver, version 15.7.0.3. I have a Netgear WNDR3700v3 wireless router with the latest firmware installed. I have two SSIDs set up, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. Both SSIDs have different names. Most of the time I am having trouble connecting to the 5GHz SSID. I can see the SSID listed under available networks. It usually has 3-5 bars for signal. I try connecting but I get the message that Windows can't connect to this network. Usually after trying to connect several times I can finally connect. Once connected the speed is great on the 5GHz network and it functions normally without any further connection issues. I usually fail connecting at least 5-10 times before it finally connects. If it doesn't connected to the 5GHz network it connects me to the 2.4GHz network which works fine. There is no issues connecting to the 2.4GHz network. I have a Dell XPS 14z laptop with an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230 card and it connects to the 5GHz SSID fine which leads me to believe it is a setting on my card or computer, not my router. I have matched up the settings on both cards but this did not make a difference. I have listed the card settings below. The 5GHz SSID is using WPA2-PSK [AES} security on channel 157. I have tried switching channels from 149-161 but this did not make a difference. The 5GHz SSID is the preferred network on my computer and is at the top of the wireless network list.

I am not sure what else to try. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4: 20MHz Only

802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2: Auto

802.11n Mode: Enabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g: 1

Ad Hoc QoS Mode: WMM Disabled

Bluetooth(R) AMP: Enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant: Disabled

Mixed Mode Protection: CTS-to-self Enabled

Preferred Band: No Preference

Roaming Aggressiveness: Medium

Transmit Power: Highest

Wireless Mode: 802.11a/b/g

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Some third party companies may take their own decision to sell Intel® wireless adapters but Intel intends to distribute them to Original Equipment Manufacturers only. Therefore, the OEM or the seller should be providing the warranty and the party integrating the device is responsible for such integration.

I also noticed you are using a desktop system; in this case we may suggest the Intel® Centrino Wireless-N 2200 for Desktop or Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop which are retail products and are expected to work in a desktop computer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to know about the issue you have.

Please note that Intel Wireless Adapters are meant to be professionally installed by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) technicians on certified systems only.

Your system is currently certified with the FCC in compliance with the International Special Committee for Radio Interference standards for radiated and conducted electromagnetic interference, installing any other adapter might void this certification, apart from the fact that a different adapter might not work correctly.

What we recommend and encourage is contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to determine which product is approved for use in your computer.

Only your system manufacturer is entitled to provide the list of validated and certified adapters that are compatible with your system and the proper means to do the hardware exchange for you.

Please refer to the following document.

Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm

0 Kudos
DCumm1
Beginner

If I am not authorized to install this adapter, why is it for sale on Amazon.com? I work in IT and have no problems installing hardware components.

I need an answer as to why I cannot always connect to the 5GHz network, not regulations about the card.

0 Kudos
JASON_H_Intel2
Employee

Hi DC2582,

I know it's been quite a while but I just came across your question because I was having the same issue. I solved it by changing the encryption setting for the wireless N network from TKIP to TKIP+AES. Not sure why but after I did that everything clicked and started working.

I hope this helps!

Jason

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is actually better to use AES alone if possible, sometimes those settings can be changed in Windows* as well as in the AP. The article below has some information about 802.11n and TKIP.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm Intel WiFi Products; Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Some third party companies may take their own decision to sell Intel® wireless adapters but Intel intends to distribute them to Original Equipment Manufacturers only. Therefore, the OEM or the seller should be providing the warranty and the party integrating the device is responsible for such integration.

I also noticed you are using a desktop system; in this case we may suggest the Intel® Centrino Wireless-N 2200 for Desktop or Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop which are retail products and are expected to work in a desktop computer.

0 Kudos