Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 HDMI 2560x1440 resolution???

idata
Employee

Hi,

I recently bought ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A with "Intel GMA HD 4000 ".

Is it possible to get a resolution of 2560x1400 on my external DELL monitor? (Monitor supports the resolution)

I tried in the Intel Graphicoptions to add a manual resolution, but I get an error

"The user defined resolution excesses the maximum bandwith capacity" (translated from german...)

Maybe u guys have a solution.

Thanks

21 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi!

The resolutions available on each video port are limited by the computer manufacturer. I recommend getting in contact with ASUS in order to check if the video port supports or not that resolution.

ASUS Contact information: http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Intel graphics does not support dual-link, therefore 1920x1200 is the maximum for DVI and HDMI, 2560x1440 is only possible with a displayport port. This is stated in every specification sheet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I experience a similar problem with a Samsung 900X3C A07 Laptop, trying to operate an Asus PB278Q external screen via HDMI with 2560x1440, 60 Hz. Using the Intel Media and Graphics Control Panel, manual settings tab, the program prevents my to do these settings also claiming that it would exceed the maximum bandwidth (see crapme's post).

The laptop has a Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Treiber-Version 9.17.10.2867) graphics adapter, the MicroHDMI-to-HDMI-cable claims to be capable of 4k by 4k resolutions and the screen is particularly advertised with making the full resolution over HDMI (it has HDMI v.1.4). Up to 1920x1080, 60Hz things work fine.

How can the bandwidth limit be set by the manufacturer and where is that information saved (registry path)? The Intel Media and Graphics Control Panel must read this info from somewhere.

Is there any way to operate my Asus screen with the above-mentioned 2560x1440, 60 Hz settings given the outlined hardware? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Philipp, I would also like to know if it's possible to operate the PB278Q via HDMI at 2560x1440, 60Hz. I just bought a sony vaio S 15.5 and am planning to buy that monitor in the future. But before I do I wanted to know if it'll work as well. I have heard hdmi only allows up to 1080p for wqhd monitors. But seeing as I don't have display port or dvi-D on my laptop I looked for a solution.

I came across this forum at whirlpool.net.au

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1479962&p=8 http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1479962&p=8

and it looks like they found a solution. Besides doing a custom resolution at 2560x1440 they also had to:

1) get a hdmi v.1.4 category 2 cable,

2) change the timing standard to cvt-rb

3) and lower their refresh rates if it didin't work at 60Hz

All this through either through the Nvidia Control panel or Intel Media and Graphics Control Panel.

It seems like some got it to work. I was wondering if what they did could work with you PB278Q or crapme's external dell monitor.

Anyways if the your Samsung series 9 outputs at hdmi ver 1.3 or 1.4 and is category 2 at 340MHz it should be able to output 2560v1440 at 60hz to that monitor cause it should have enough bandwidth for it.

Hope that helps and works. Lemme know cause I really want to get that monitor too haha.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You will be able to obtain 2560 x 1440 resolution from an Intel HD 4000 on-chip graphics and a HDMI port, but I very much doubt you'll get a 60Hz refresh rate via HDMI. I have achieved 2560 x 1440 on the Dell U2711 using a number of laptops with HDMI ports, but I never managed to get beyond a 35Hz refresh rate (perhaps because of my cable, not sure). To elaborate on yeaa24's instructions above:

1. Right click on the desktop.

2. Select "Graphics Properties".

3. Select the "Advanced Mode" radio button and click OK.

4. Click on "Display" and then "Custom Resolutions" in the left-hand pane.

5. Ensure the "Basic Settings" radio button is selected.

6. For the "Width" field, enter "2560".

7. For the "Height" field, enter "1440".

8. For the "Refresh Rate" field, enter "35".

9. Select "16" in the "Color Depth" dropdown.

10. Select "CVT-RB" for the "Timing Standard" dropdown.

11. Click on OK.

At this point you may have to restart your computer. You should then be able to select the newly added resolution (if it's not already selected). It should "just work" at 35Hz, you can experiment and try to go higher (the higher the refresh rate, the smoother animations/movement will be).

I must warn you, at 35Hz, movement (i.e. simply dragging a window around the screen) looks very choppy.

I've read all kinds of things about the new HDMI "High Speed" standard that supposedly supports the new 4K resolution, but I've yet to witness HDMI push more than 2560 x 1440 @ 35Hz (unfortunately). Not sure if it's because of the electronics/port in the Dell U2711, the HDMI electronics/port on laptops, the cable, or something else. I actually find it somewhat misleading that HDMI "High Speed" is being advertised as being able to push 4K and beyond.

After all the pain I've gone through trying to achieve resolutions higher than 1080p, I will now only buy equipment with DisplayPorts (or mini-DisplayPorts) or Thunderbolt, as these achieve 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz simply by plugging them in (no need to mess around with custom resolutions etc). It really frustrates me as my choice of laptops is severely limited.

I long for the day that someone posts with "Hey! It was the cable all along!! Buy this HDMI cable from XYZ and you'll get 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz!!!". One can only hope...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What's the point at 16bit over 32bit? I suppose for gaming if you don't care...but for photography...32bit is a must. Anyway, I ordered a display port cable for my Samsung series 7 laptop. We shall see. It arrives on Tuesday.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Welp...not that 16=bit would have benefited me at all (photographic work), it didn't NOT work anyway. BUT, the DisplayPort cable worked perfectly. The Asus looks amazing. I'm floored.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hello all,

having sames issue with a MaxBook Air (with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (512mo)) / IIyama XB2776QS display where I can not have 2560x1440 resolution with adaptor mini DisplayPort / DVI and cable DVI Dual Link.

the display is recognized by le Macbook, but propose only resolution: 1600x900, 1600x1200, 1920x1080 ...

Hello, voyant que ce sujet semble récurrent, je me permet de partager mon pb:

any idea?

thanks a lot,

regards,

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi zelaulau,

I recommend contacting Apple in order to check if they have validated the type of adapter you are using.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

THanks, i found the solution:

do not buy expensive adapter mini display port to hdmi, or dvi, or displayport- just buy a simple cable : mini displayport to displayport that cost less than 10€ on internet - and it works well.

0 Kudos
TNinj
Beginner

Intel,

please, please, please release a new driver that will not cripple the adapter (HD 4000)

the newest driver has no way of adding custom resolution, it's a big disappointment.

and seriously why would any manufacture limit the HDMI connector bandwidth, it makes no sense at all.

the only thing that can limit the bandwidth is either Intel driver or firmware. nothing else.

How hard can it be for the great "Intel" to release a fix that will enable 2560x1600@60Hz.

you will have to do it anyways, as the world is shifting to HDMI. now supporting 4k resolutions.

so why not start sooner than later.

if Nvidia can do it, so can you.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Umbrella, 2560x1600 is only validated through DisplayPort as it has been specified on the technical specifications for this video controller.

0 Kudos
TNinj
Beginner

Diego,

thank you for the useless comment, I think you are confusing Intel "Community" with Intel "Glossary".

if i wanted a copy and paste answer I'd go the the local DMV branch.

I'm well aware of your specified spec. If you had bothered reading my comment you would know that.

I'm simply asking intel here to allocate a few hours of some software engineer to improve this driver.

this is why we have this forum so intel can address its users concerns and suggestions.

Guys, please like this comment if you want a new driver to support 2560x1600@60hz via HDMI.

0 Kudos
EGatz
Beginner

Did anyone ever get this to work? I just got a Yoga 13 with HD 4000 and my 30" Dell external monitor is crippled.

Every time I try to add a custom resolution, it says it is over the bandwidth limitation. This is the error even when adding lower Hz resolutions and lower res resolutions. It takes 2560x1600@30Hz, but my Dell wants 60Hz.

This is less than ideal.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello SpecialEd, , thank you very much for contacting us.

It is important to keep in mind that the maximum display resolution natively supported by the HD4000 through DisplayPort* 1.1, HDMI* or VGA is 2560 x 1600.

The maximum amount depends on many factors, such as chipset, monitor capabilities, and manufacturer configurations. I would recommend you to check with Dell and Lenovo what is the maximum resolution supported by them.

Additional information can be found at this article: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022544.htm Graphics — Display Resolutions Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

0 Kudos
EGatz
Beginner

Yes, I understand that there are limitations based on the chipset.

I was surprised that many custom modes report "maximum bandwidth exceeded" when obviously it is not a bandwidth limitation. For example, 2560x1600 at 30 Hz was accepted, but many other lower resolution and lower Hz framerates report the bandwidth limitation error.

Additionally, the famerates available appear to be limited by the driver. I was trying to set my main display to a lower frame rate and resolution to ideally allow for more bandwidth for the external monitor, but it would not allow custom settings in many cases.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All, I have confirmed the supported resolutions and refresh rates for HD 4000. This issue is a hardware limitation of the HD4000 chipset. It does not support a pixel clock greater than 225MHz on HDMI. The following are the supported rates.

DVI :

Intel HD4000 Max Pixel Clock supported on Single Channel DVI is 165Mhz. So max supported is 1920 x 1080 (60p Hz) On DVI

HDMI :

Intel HD4000 Max Pixel Clock supported on HDMI is 225Mhz. So max supported is 1920 x 1080 (60p, 85p) On HDMI

Note : 2560 x1440_ (60 Hz) is not supported on HDMI as it Exceeds the max Pixel Clock supported by our Intel 4000 Hardware ( 225Mhz)

Driver will enable and support 225Mhz based on HDMI Panel's (HDMI Registration ID supplied by panel )

DispalyPort :

Intel HD4000 Max Pixel Clock supported on DisplayPort is 348 Mhz

So, 2560 x1440_ 60 and 2560 x1600_ 60 is supported on DisplayPort Interface only.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
JMosc
Beginner

Thank you Robert for this information.

I am driving a 120Hz 1080p Monitor using the display port and found out something strange:

Previously this worked fine. I could select this display mode and the monitor confirmed it to be the current mode but the newer driver seems to limit the bandwidth of the chipset.

After updating to the newest intel drivers with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 in both cases the highest possible frequency is 100Hz. Adding a custom resolution fails with a message telling me that this would exceed the bandwidth limit. I then reverted to a very old driver (15.26.9.64.2712 from March 30, 2012) and with this the 120Hz at 1080p works fine.

I think this problem started when the driver was updated to the new touch friendly interface and the +10% more performance claims.

Why does the new driver reduce the maximum bandwidth of the DP? Additionally I think the HDMI has a maximum frequency of 60Hz at 1080p where it previously had 85Hz at 1080p.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Julian, thanks for the additional data. I am currently researching your findings and will report back on this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
AHann
Beginner

It is possible to do UHD (3840x2160P) using this chip by being careful to stay under the maximum HDMI dot clock.

Using CustomModeApp:

Front Porch H=48 V=3

Back Porch H=80 V=23

Sync Width H=32 V=5

Active H=3840 V=2160

Scan Rate V=25

It relies on the screen supporting 24Hz refresh rates as most UHD screens will. 24Hz is used by Blue-ray in film mode.

Dot Clock for these HDMI settings is 221MHz which is below the hardware maximum of 225MHz

0 Kudos