Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Advanced-N 6235 + Bluetooth 4.0 does not work after sleep/hibernate

idata
Employee

I recently purchased a laptop with the Intel Advanced-N 6235 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 module included. Unfortunately I noticed practically from the start that there were issues with the Bluetooth component upon waking the laptop from sleep or hibernate; specifically, devices that were already paired to the laptop would no longer work, nor would the laptop detect any other devices if I attempted to pair something else. Additionally I am unable to disable the Bluetooth device at all both through the Windows Device Manager and the hotkey on my laptop specifically. The only solution is to reboot the laptop or shut it off, upon which point everything works fine until the next time I sleep the laptop.

I've checked for later drivers and I have the most up-to-date version from both the Intel site and my OEM, so that hasn't been a solution. Buying an external Bluetooth dongle and using that instead does not give me the same problems that the internal one does (everything works as expected) but I'd obviously like the internal Bluetooth device to work as it should.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

Is this a known issue being worked on for a future driver release, and if not is there a place I can go to report it directly?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for your post, there are a couple of thing you may check, see the Knowledge base article from Microsoft to find out if you get these error messages (in the device status in device manager showing error 43):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982046 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982046

Also you can make sure that the device starts automatically:

1. Click on start and type services.msc then hit enter, then on the left click on Services.
  2. Double-click the Bluetooth Support service.
  3. If the Bluetooth Support service is stopped, click Start.
  4. On the Startup type list, click Automatic (not manual)
  5. Click the Log On tab.
  6. Select Local System account.
  7. Click OK.
  8. If you it asks to reboot, click yes.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nathalie, thank you for the response.

I tried both solutions you suggested, unfortunately neither worked. The hotfix from Microsoft gave me an error that it was not applicable for my system, and when I followed your second suggestion it prevented Bluetooth devices from working at all (and oddly also my LAN connection, which had no issues at all).

On a whim, however, I noticed that under the device in Device Manager, there was a tab called "Power Management," that had a checkbox next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." On a whim I unchecked that and suddenly the issue was completely resolved. I didn't notice this tab before or felt it wasn't applicable, but unchecking the box and hitting okay fixed the issue completely.

Presumably if I'm on battery power I will be disabling the device with my laptop's built-in controls anyway, so I assume disabling Windows from doing so won't get in the way of anything. However this would appear to be a bug, so I'm leaving this in hopes that Intel can take care of it (and in case anyone else has the same problem and finds this thread via Google.)

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, I have the same problem with Windows 7 X64 Professional and the Intel Advanced WiFi-N 6235 (driver 15.1.1.1) and Bluetooth 4.0 (driver 2.0.15.30131; today 2.0.15.30150).

*****************************************************************************************************************

I also have to start at every system restart the bluetooth adapter, also very annoying.( No Windows Error ID). How can bluetooth autostart?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982046 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982046

can not install for me, error message:

The update is not suitable for my computer.

However, I have "only" error ID: 17

Changes in the services.msc and the Power Management I have made as described.

Are there any other solutions or drivers.

Thank you Thomas
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've found a solution:

My solution was a BIOS update, then I put in the bios; Bluetooth On or Out.

No more problems when you restart or standby.

Greeting Thomas
0 Kudos