Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Question about a good old one...Pentium 4

idata
Employee

Hi there, Friends in the wild wild world,

I have this question that I really can not answer for my self.

I use an old Pentium based system as a temp back-up for my docs...It's a Celeron 2,6 Ghz on an Aopen MX4GER motherboard...

It used to run perfectly...for years.....

Then I got the idea to upgrade this oldy 'cause some-one gave me a P4 2,8 Ghz...

I checked with Aopen if there were problems to be expected when using a P4 on this mobo....They said no !!!

So I started to upgrade.....All went well...no probs.....

After check and re-check I turned on my pc......it began to start......

But then I saw that the BIOS recognized the procosseor's brand correctly : a P4 , 2,8 Ghz and Hyper Threading enabled...

but it was functioning only as a P4 at 1,8 Ghz...( 133 x 14 )....

Heu ?

The mobo is Jumperless so the P4 should configure it self at the right speed.....but no....

Intel's testing software confirms the CPU's brand ( P4 2,8 Ghz ) but reports the actual speed as 1,8 Ghz...

I tried everything......even updating the BIOS.....but the CPU keeps on running on 133 x 14...

The CPU ratio is not to be changed...

When I change the CPU bus speed in the BIOS to 150...it works....but changing it too 200 ( and then running at 2,8Ghz )...the machine simply won't start...

How can this be ...?

Dear Friends, is there any-one in the wild world with knowledge about this problem ?

Then, please, help me out.....

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I would suggest running the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to determine if your processor supports Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology, if it does, then make sure to disable it from the BIOS, since this feature forces the processor to run slower in order to save power consumption.

If the processor does not support Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology, then I would suggest contacting the motherboard manufacturer to make sure the processor is listed as compatible with your particular motherboard.

0 Kudos