Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Possible IMC Issue - W3520 - Time To RMA?

idata
Employee

Ok , I figured I'd put my first post here as I am about to RMA my cpu. Here is my current system:

Case - Antec 900 w/3120mm and a 200mm fan

Corsair H650w Power Supply

Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 Triple Channel @ 1600Mhz

eVGA E760 Classified

Xeon W3520

eVGA GTX295

WD 80Gb Velociraptor for the OS(Win7 Ultimate)

WD Black 1Tb for storage

Voltages are stock except for the ram which is manually set to 1.65v. No overclocks.

I seem to have missing ram on cold boot - ie.- shows 4Gb on cold boot. Shut down completely and restart. Now will show 6Gb. If the PC is warm , I can restart as many times as I want and show all of my ram. Here's what I have tried ti eliminate other hardware. To start with I was using a FoxConn Bloodrage mother board so I will relate how I was testing at that time. First thing I did was test the ram with the latest Memtest86. The Bloodrage only has 3 ram slots. I tested each stick in each slot for 50 passes(about 18 hrs) of Memtest. All passed with flying colors. I then tested with all of the slots populated for another 50 passes. Not once did I get an error. I then tried Prime95 with large FFTs for about 18hrs - no errors. I tried IPDT - Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It didn't find anything either. I have also tried 3 different heatsinks to get rid of the "could be too much cpu pressure" idea. I even tried tweaking the voltages - didn't change anything. Finally I decided that it must be the board. I purchased the Classified motherboard about 5 days ago. Got it installed and lucky me - same problem.

So , here I am. What's the consensus? Chip or ram next? Both have warranties yet. The chip has 5 months left and the ram is lifetime.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Since you replaced the motherboard, and tested all RAM, it seems to be a processor issue, so I would suggest calling the local Intel technical support center at:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

It would be a good idea if you can take your processor to a local computer store, or to a friend's system and test it there with a totally different hardware configuration, to make sure it is the processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah , unfortunately , all of my friends are stuck in the stone age and don't have x58 set-ups. There aren't any repair shops here other than Best Buy and a place called Computer Reboot. They just do formatting and Spyware/Malware removal.

0 Kudos