Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

poor quality Intel 4600 Graphics

GBILE
Beginner

Hi all I hope someone out there can help with this!

I just bought a new PC i5 4460 using the Intel 4600 graphics and Windows 10, Quite frankly the picture on the monitor is crap! The text is fuzzy and photos are nowhere near sharp enough, certainly not HD.

I have read many many many web pages with people having this issue, but none of the solutions (mostly around changing settings) works for me. My previous PC used a Radeon graphics card (brilliant quality and no issues), am I expecting too much of the Intel 4600 to produce the same quality?

I have tried loading new drivers via the Intel Driver Utility which said I should install 15.33.38.4252, this had issues (entry points not found) at the end of the install, but did seem to install. When using Windows Device Manager to update to the latest driver it installs 10.18.15.4279 (which is what the system came with) so Intel and Microsoft seem to disagree about the latest versions.

I have a 24in monitor which on my previous PC just plugged and played, on the new PC I had to change the scaling (from 100x100 to 66 vertical x 72 horizontal) to get the picture to fit on the screen! Resolution (as recommended by Windows) is at 1920x1080.

Hopefully someone out there can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello GB1955,

Please try with the latest graphics version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], you can install the driver using the following method http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*.

Let me know your findings,

Regards,

Amy.

GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

Thanks for this, however it hasn't made any difference, the black text still looks fuzzy and my pictures all look a bit too bright and the colours un-natural.

When I looked at the Driver Details in Device Manager it said the driver was version - 20.19.15.4300 not 15.40.10.64.4300 which is what I downloaded?

Any other suggestions most welcome

Cheers

Gary

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Please fill out the following form and post it here, make sure to follow closely all the instructions on the post so we can replicate the issue.

Now, when it comes to the driver version, these are often referred to by either build number or driver version; in your case there is no difference between the two. The last four digits of the downloaded driver will indicate if it is the same driver posted it in our site which is .4300, the rest of numbers are just for internal reference.

For more driver build information, please visit http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020667.htm Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number.

Regards.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

form completed as you suggested.

I have inserted 6 screen shots of info required.

I have some other data files but cannot see how to attached them to the post.

I will have another look.

Regards

Gary

ou suggested and files attached with relevant info.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I just bought a new PC i5 4460 using the Intel 4600 graphics and Windows 10, Quite frankly the picture on the monitor is crap! The text is fuzzy and photos are nowhere near sharp enough, certainly not HD.

I have read many many many web pages with people having this issue, but none of the solutions (mostly around changing settings) works for me. My previous PC used a Radeon graphics card (brilliant quality and no issues), am I expecting too much of the Intel 4600 to produce the same quality?

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

All the time

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Zoostorm (UK brand) – i5 4460

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

<span style="font-size: 7.5pt; font-family: 'Arial','sans-s...

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

I have three files I wanted to attached, but cannot see how you do that?

1. dispdiag-intel-issue.dat
  2. dxdiag.txt
  3. intel system support utility xml file.xml

How do you do this?

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Go to Reply,

Once there, on the upper right side you will see the following;

Click on "Use Advanced editor"

Finally, you will be able to attach the files on the "Attach" option.

Regards.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

Thanks for that.

The files are now attached to the thread.

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information.

Let me investigate this matter, I will be updating this thread.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Gary,

I noticed from the screen shots you attached that you're missing the driver for your monitor;

Have you tried installing it from the monitor manufacturer?

Have you tried with a different monitor?

Have you tried with a different cable?

Do you have the Clear Type feature on? If you need more information about this you can visit http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/turn-off-or-on-clear-type-text-in-windows-10.html Turn off or on Clear Type Text in Windows 10.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Let me know if that helps.

Amy.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

My monitor is a TV and there is no specific driver, I have checked the manufacturer's website, hence it using the generic driver. This worked fine on my old PC.

I am hopefully trying a different (PC not TV) monitor today with a different cable.

I have tried CLEARTYPE, it doesn't make any difference.

Will let you know how I get on with a different monitor.

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

I tried a different monitor yesterday, a specific PC monitor not a TV (like the one I am currently using).

The clarity was certainly better, although not perfect, and the monitor was much more versatile than the TV in being able to change light, contrast, colour settings.

After the test we concluded that there are probably two things going on ...

1. the NVIDIA graphics card in my previous PC is a higher quality than the Intel 4600 and more "flexible" in how it works with the TV

2. To get the best out of the Intel card I will need a PC monitor not a generic TV

Any thoughts you have on this or if you have found anything else would be most welcome.

Cheers

Gary

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

Some things,

-Black levels will need to be adjusted. TV levels are 16-235, PC levels are 0-255. They will look the same if both are set the same. If you set your computer to TV levels on a display that is PC, you get washed out blacks. If you set PC levels on a display set for TV you get crushed blacks. One of the advanced options will let you specify whether to output TV or PC levels to the display.

-TV is probably set for chroma 4:2:2. You need chroma 4:4:4 for best text clarity and colour. Research how to do this, you likely need to rename the HDMI input on your tv to PC to make it change the chroma to 4:4:4. Using 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 will always be fuzzier text. You do this renaming on the TV not the computer.

-Text fuzziness could also be a rendering issue. Windows 10 uses greyscale subpixel antialiasing. This is different from Windows 7 with IE8 (changed with IE9 and up) which used RGB subpixel antialiasing.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Thanks for the advice, but my TV doesn't have the facility (as far as I am aware) to make the very "low level" changes that you have suggested.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am expecting too much of the Intel graphics card when compared to the NVIDIA one that is in my old PC (Windows 7), however reading other's comments on the net I don't think that Windows 10 helps. On my old PC I just plugged in the TV and it was picture perfect without any adjustment required.

I have lost count of the hours (wasted) trying to get a good quality picture with the new PC, Intel graphics and Windows 10.

Thanks again

Gary

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

In the "Video" portion of the graphics control panel settings: Basic Tab > Input Range selected to Driver Settings > Limited Range or Full Range

0 Kudos
CHore1
Beginner

Don't know if this will help or not. I just purchased a new Asus B85M-G R2.0 motherboard and the i5-4460 cpu to go along to go into a dell 2300. Just got it up and running a day ago. From my experience but I'm old school(haven't worked with any video cards yet besides low end), there might be a couple of low end Nvidia, etc. cards out there that don't compare to the 4600 integrated graphics. So yes, I do believe you might be expecting a little bit too much from the 4600 integrated graphics. Since my thoughts are that most video cards are better than integrated. When I had ran the first boot (running hdmi) of the new system my 42" Samsung "digital" tv was making funny popping noises occasionally. I didn't know what was going on so I had switched hdmi inputs on the tv and found out I had an HDMI/DVI port that equated out to better picture and took the popping noise away. I then went into the display settings in windows and looked at all the advanced options.. I had to readjust my screen percentage as well..something like 73x58 I don't exactly remember, but I feel this is normal when connecting to other displays. I've had both setups where some displays don't need adjusting and others do. I also had what you would call a blurred screen as well, almost like I had two edges on some of the borders and the text wasn't clear. I ended up running through the "Intel HD Graphics Control Panel" and under "display/general settings" I clicked on "advanced" and set the "quantization range" to "full range". I believe that cleared up most of it. You also want the "IT content" enabled. Then under "color settings/advanced" you want "ycbcr" enabled. That helped with my color adjustment. I haven't tried using a monitor yet but I will be in the next day or two. The only other thing I did was under my bios I clicked on something about "using the integrated graphics?" however, I don't know if that adjusted anything to do the fact that I thought I was already using the integrated graphics, and I have no extra video cards. Not sure if it allocated some memory for the gpu.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Thanks Sunspark, GSIntegral,

I have tried the suggestions that you have made, but it hasn't improved things.

Thanks again

Gary

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello All,

Thank your sharing your feedback and thoughts.

Gary, it's unfortunate that you still have this issue, at this point you can try with a BIOS update from your computer manufacturer http://www.zoostorm.com/support/download-updated-drivers-and-firmware/ Download Updated Drivers & Firmware.

Did you try with a different cable?

If the issue persist you might need to wait for a new driver release.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

Re drivers -

I wouldn't know which BIOS drivers to update with. The Zoostorm website isn't very clear on this

The Graphics drivers are more straightforward. Using the Intel graphics utility it still says that I am not on the latest version (see the picture in my previous post - /servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-347356-248052/intel driver update utility.jpg https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-347356-248052/intel+driver+update+utility.jpg)

I wasn't able to try a different cable, the person I borrowed the monitor from didn't bring the cable with them, theirs was HDMI to HDMI anyway, mine is HDMI to DVI.

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Gary,

The Intel® Driver Update Utility somehow is showing you a different version as the latest but the latest version is the one you have installed(.4300), you can confirm it here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4600 for 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors.

The BIOS update will be provided by your computer manufacturer but it seems like from the Zoostorm web page there are no updates available, like you mentioned the web site is no very clear on this.

I noticed from your system information that you have a Gigabyte motherboard, also mentioned by @GSIntegral, I would recommend to contact the Zoostorm http://www.zoostorm.com/support/ Support in order for them to provide you with the model of the motherboard and from there to browse for the latest BIOS version on http://www.gigabyte.us/ GIGABYTE - Motherboard , Graphics Card , Laptop ,Tablet , Mini-PC , Server , PC Peripherals and more.

I understand that you were not able to test a different cable but if it is possible give it try with a straight connection(HDMI to HDMI) so we can narrow the issue.

0 Kudos
GBILE
Beginner

Hi Amy

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away.

I tried a different, high quality, cable but it made no difference.

I cannot do HDMI to HDMI as the PC doesn't have an HDMI socket, just DVI.

Cheers

Gary

0 Kudos