Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

4690k Overheating 100c fast!

HGhos
Beginner

I never overclocked my cpu as I never had to. Past month it was crazy, using stock fan btw but never reached past 70c. So I updated my bios recently, and everything else. Now its hitting 100c. I never overclocked anything except for my gpu only recently (3 days ago, which I reverted back to stock) just so I get the fans going cause the cpu is creating unwanted heat. The only thing which I shouldn't probably done, hopefully hasn't voided warranty is loaded xmp profile for ddr3 2400 and enabled turbo 4.0ghz to see if that would help but it hasn't...reverted in minutes. I reset my bios settings to see if that would help and still no. I absulotely no nothing with overclocking and never touched it till it hit 100c. I clean dust regularly and applied thermal paste recently which somehow made it hotter? Everything is placed correctly so I don't know what's the problem.

I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor, than CPU-Z, Coretemp, MSI Afterburner. Uninstalled everything except for HWM.

Let me know what I should do please. I've never done stress tests before btw and prefer not to as it'll definately damage my cpu...don't know anything about this stuff so I could be wrong. You guys are the experts =)

This only happens playing a game btw, but my idle temps are higher than usual so yeah...I'd appreciate if anyone could help me fast. Thanks in advanced

d

Case: Corsair Graphite 760t White steel

Memory: G.skill Ripjaws X 2x8gb 2400hz

CPU: Intel i5-4690k

GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 Radeon 390x

PSU: OCZ 860watts

SSD: 250gb Samsung 850 EVO

Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Anniversary

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello GhostPepper,

Thank you for joining the Processor community.

Please respond and provide the following, this will help to address this matter:

A couple suggestions to try in the meantime:

• Double check that the amount of thermal grease applied was sufficient.
  • Double check that the processor and the fan are fitted properly.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116092 GhostPepper, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos