Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Why AES instructions are not available Server Board S5520UR

DD3
Beginner

Intel® Server System SR2625URBRPR

Intel® Server Board S5520UR

Intel Xeon E5620 CPU

Windows Server 2008 R2

Why are not available instructions AES, these instructions are in the CPU Xeon E5620?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi DD,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical support.

I understand that you want to know why the AES instructions (Advanced Encryption Standard) are not available for the Intel Server Board S5520UR. The AES instructions are available for Intel® Xeon® processor family and the Intel® Core™ processor family. It is supported on the Intel® CPU Xeon E5620. You can confirm this at this link: https://ark.intel.com/products/47925/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5620-12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI https://ark.intel.com/products/47925/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5620-12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI, topic: Intel® Data Protection Technology.

I'm still investigating if it is supported on server boards. I will get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
DD3
Beginner

Hi Intel Technical Support.

Here are the screenshots of the CPU + mainboard with the BIOS firmware version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DD,

Thank you for your quick response.

Please note that the AES-NI support is automatically enabled in the processor. Regarding the support of the Intel® AES on the Intel® Server Board S5520UR, we checked the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5520ur/sb/e44031012_s5520ur_s5520urt_tps_r1_9.pdf Technical Product Specification for this board, and the option is not included. What it comes with is the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) feature.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
DD3
Beginner

Hi Intel Technical Support.

I do not use the TPM module and I do not need its support.

The processor supports AES instructions all ok .... Why are they not available from the OS, is it an OS problem or a BIOS issue?

How can I find out the reason why the instructions are not available, is there any software for testing?

All updates to Windows Server 2008 R2 are installed.

The CPU-Z utility shows the lack of availability of AES instructions for software providing why ??? Although the processor supports these instructions.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DDN8,

Responding to your questions:

Why they are not available from the OS, is it an OS problem or a BIOS issue?

• The Intel® AES-IN is supported in Microsoft* Windows Server* 2008 R2.
  • Microsoft* Windows Server* 2008 Release 2 have built-in support for the new instructions.
  • The Intel® Server Board S5520UR, does not come with the Intel® AES feature.

How can I find out the reason why the instructions are not available, is there any software for testing?
  • For support information on the Operating System you will need to contact the OS vendor directly.
As a reference, please check the document: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/advanced-encryption-standard--aes-/aes-ni-windows-web-server-guide.html How to Provision a Windows* Web Server for Intel® AES-NII hope this information clarify you inquiry.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DDN8,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided clarifies your inquiry or if you have more question regarding the Intel® AES-IN? I will be more than glad to continue assisting you.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DDN8,

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided clarifies your inquiry or if you have more question regarding the Intel® AES-IN? I will be more than glad to continue assisting you.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DDN8,

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DDN8,

I have not heard back from you since your last the interaction. I will go ahead and close this case. Please feel free to contact us if you need more assistance from us; more than glad to continue assisting you.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos