Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

BIOS Update Intel S2600CP2J Bricked?

kkrap1
Beginner

I attempted to do the update package (Sept 21, 2016) which includes System BIOS 20.06.0005, ME firmware 02.01.07.328, BMC firmware 01.27.9958, and FRUSDR 1.11. As each component was installed, it confirmed that it was successful.

On reboot, a short flash screen appears, showing only a few lines and showing the system BIOS is 02.06.0005 and Platform ID: S2600CP. There is no opportunity to go into the BIOS, and I am stuck on this short screen.

I next tried to follow the BIOS recovery procedure. The first surprise was that the BIOS recovery jumper was already on pins 2-3 (recovery setting) and not pins 1-2 (default). With the recovery media on a usb stick, I tried recovery leaving the pins as they were, with no effect on reboot. I then tried again treating pins 1-2 as the recovery setting instead of being default, again with no result. Leaving the jumper at pins 1-2, I removed the recovery media, and tried again, and this time it complained that no recovery media was found. Rebooting again with the recovery media reinserted, and still with the jumper on pins 1-2, nothing but that same short screen.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Karen,

By any chance, did you try the BIOS Recovery process outlined in the read me.txt file?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26279/eng/S2600GZ_GL_Update_Instructions.txt

Best regards,

Adrian M

0 Kudos
kkrap1
Beginner

I strictly followed the BIOS Recovery Procedure. Please note that my motherboard is S2600CP2J, and not S2600GZ. When following the Recovery Procedure, after step # 5 power on, step # 6 "The system will automatically reboot into the embedded EFI Shell" did not happen.

As I stated above:

I next tried to follow the BIOS recovery procedure. The first surprise was that the BIOS recovery jumper was already on pins 2-3 (recovery setting) and not pins 1-2 (default). With the recovery media on a usb stick, I tried recovery leaving the pins as they were, with no effect on reboot. I then tried again treating pins 1-2 as the recovery setting instead of being default, again with no result. Leaving the jumper at pins 1-2, I removed the recovery media, and tried again, and this time it complained that no recovery media was found. Rebooting again with the recovery media reinserted, and still with the jumper on pins 1-2, nothing but that same short screen.

0 Kudos
kkrap1
Beginner

It was SE5c600.86B.01.02.03 (I think there should be 2 digits before the .03 at the end, probably 00, but maybe 10.) The build date showed 02/28/2012. The flash screen that shows up when I attempt to boot confirms the new SE5C600.86B.02.06.0005 as the BIOS. Also, when doing the update, each component including the BIOS showed a successful install on the screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Karen,

I would recommend you to contact support for further assistance.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html

Best Regards,

Adrian M
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Karen

I am just looking for an update for this case and I am wondering if you went over my previous update?

Adrian M

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Karen,

From which BIOS Version were you trying to upgrade to before?

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos