Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

4770k Poor TIM From Factory, Can Anything Be Done?

SOkri
Beginner

Hello -

I have an i7-4770k that was purchased in late 2013. It appears to have a poor TIM application between the CPU and IHS, which has caused high thermals since day 1. I'm running a 280mm liquid cooling system, with properly applied thermal compound. The high temps have persisted through several CPU coolers and many thermal compound applications.

My question is, can anything be done by Intel to correct this very well known flaw with the Haswell CPUs at this point? I'd like to attempt overclocking at some point to extend the life of the aging CPU, but do not want to attempt it due to high thermals on stock frequency with a robust cooling system in place.

Purchase was made through Newegg on October 27, 2013. I realize this is beyond the scope of the normal three year CPU warranty, but was hoping Intel might be willing to assist if at all possible.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

sjo102784: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

On the following thread you will find some recommendations in order to try to fix the overheating problem for the processor, even though the models listed there are different, there might be useful information for this scenario in there:

/docs/DOC-23517 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517

Now, remember that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. So, actually by overclocking the processor the life-spam of the processor is actually reduced.

At this point, the best thing to do will be to follow the recommendations of the thread above, making sure the fans are working properly as well.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sjo102784: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SOkri
Beginner

Hello:

I'm familiar with the software you linked and how to manage thermal issues on normal CPUs. This is a post related to poor manufacturing of the 4770k CPUs. They are widely known to have bad thermal interface material, or at least a poor application of the material from the factory - resulting in (for example) my 4770k running very hot under load even with beefy third party cooling solutions.

I'm looking for assistance from Intel in terms of a reapplication of TIM to my CPU or some other avenue of fixing the issue I'm experiencing (and the issue many other people experienced with their 4770k CPUs).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

sjo102784: I just sent you a private message. Please check your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos