Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

i7 7700k temperature overheat, temperature spikes, cpu pll stock overvoltage, two core lower room temp (bad sensors)

ARoss4
Novice

Hello Intel,

Here is the list of i7 7700k issues i have:

1) Starting to testing a new i7 7700k i see temperature spikes. Temps goes from 40 to 70 degrees just opening a browser, then lower again to 40 degrees in less then a few seconds.

2) Hypertreading has a crash bug so we can not use it, Intel is investigating from April but still no fix (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html [WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading)

3) Cpu overheat at stock. A Prime 95 AVX test goes over 85 degrees with watercooler Termaltake Water 3.0 240, it goes near 95 with stock air cooler, in less then 10 minutes.

I noticed that all motherboards are overvolting (at stock with any reason and without XMP) PLL OC to 1.2v. So I ve lowered it to 1.0v as datasheet says and package temperature is now at 65 degrees on full load, so is acceptable,

but this has caused a fourth problem:

4) When CPU PLL OC is lower then 1.2v two core 4 degrees lower on idle and up to 12 degrees lower on full load. They are also lower then room temp (bad readings?).

Ex: 30-31-22-20 (idle) 65-64-55-50 (full load). (room temp 28).

I tried i7 7700k with different motherboards (ASROCK z270 and MSI z270), i tried three different processors, two different PSU. Nothing change.

This is a common story with i7 7700k. I've heard at least five customers with similar problems (i know them personally), also forums are full.

How is possible to sell a CPU with so much problems, for so many users and not give a safe answer to customers for many months?

We are waiting for an answer for each issue.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello AndrewRossi,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please check the following link where customers reported processors with temperature change behavior with the Intel® i7-7700K processors:

/thread/110728?start=540&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728?start=540&tstart=0

Please see post 549, page 37

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

I read that post and I feel fooled:

I ve spoken about issues at stock! All forums are full of that issues. We are not all crazy: i have buying your products since the 1st generation. On shop where i bought this CPUs they have stopped to sell 7700k due to that issues. All users have it. Take a look on some youtube reviews, or on your forum reports: you will find a lot of overheating and spikes issues posts.

Please, get ahead for a sensible answer for these four points:

1) As i sayd temps goes from 40 to 70 degrees just opening a browser, then lower again to 40 degrees in less then a few seconds. I have never seen something like that: 30 degrees spikes for less then 10% of load. That is not normal at all.

2) You did not answered about Hypertreading crash bug. Is that normal for you?

3) As i sayd (and as all users on this forum sayd) Cpu overheat is at stock. I repeat, at stock settings! CPU reaches over 95 degrees with stock air cooler, on stock voltages with 10 minutes of 100% core utilization with prime95. Is that normal for you? (Thats happens on all i7 7700k i tried)

4) When CPU PLL is setted as datasheet says (1.0 +-5mv, page 119 of datasheet part 1, point 7.2.1.7) the two cores are 10 degrees lower then other two cores. Idling temperatures of this two cores are also lower then room temp. Is that normal for you?

Hoping you will answer, thank you in advance for your support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information AndrewRossi, we appreciate your interest on reporting this issue to us.

Being that the case, we are managing this issue at the thread I posted above and we will appreciate if you could post this issue at that thread so we can have better visibility to the issue and our team in change can look at it.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos