Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

7260 AC device not visible but Bluetooth working fine

AHull2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro just out of warranty and one day the wifi on it just disappeared like it wasn't even installed. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 and booting into Linux but it still isn't there. Bluetooth is working fine however, and that's on the same card so it's detecting and using the 7260. The next thing I did was to completely replace the card but I'm still having exactly the same problem with the new one. I've reset the BIOS to default settings and confirmed that wireless is enabled in there.

Next things I think of are the motherboard (which looks like it would cost hundreds to replace) or the antennas. Does the card have some feature where the wifi won't enable if there's a fault with the antenna?

I'm really stumped as to what to do now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AHull2
Beginner

Thanks but I finally managed to fix it (it's been broken for months). I'm not sure what I did but it must be something to do with two things I did.

I popped the back off and pulled out the CMOS battery (black disc located in the corner that the WiFi card is in) and left it out for about 20 minutes.

Next I was in the BIOS and I used an option called something like "Reset to Secure Mode".

I didn't realise it was working until I boot into Linux and it was suddenly offering me WiFi networks. Went back into Windows and noticed it was there in Device Manager but disabled. Re-enabled it and it was all good. I suspect the CMOS reset did it but I hadn't noticed as it was disabled.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Twinnie,

We understand that the WiFi component of your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is not being detected properly in your PC. As you mentioned, this may be hardware problem and we advise to check with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support as well. Here are some items for your consideration:

- Check if your PC has any hardware switch in the chassis for the Wireless component, or if it has a keyboard combination with this function. Make sure it is enabled.

- Try disabling, or uninstalling your antivirus/firewall and check if it helps.

- If the WiFi adapter is ON and enabled in the BIOS, then it should appear in Windows* Device Manager, under Network Adapters, or it may be an unknown device.

- Try installing the driver with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10* [19.70.0]

- If the antennas were failing it would only affect the quality of the signal and connectivity. The wireless adapter does not require the antennas to be detected and should still be seen in Device Manager.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Twinnie,

Please let us know if there has been any progress or in case you require additional assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
AHull2
Beginner

Thanks but I finally managed to fix it (it's been broken for months). I'm not sure what I did but it must be something to do with two things I did.

I popped the back off and pulled out the CMOS battery (black disc located in the corner that the WiFi card is in) and left it out for about 20 minutes.

Next I was in the BIOS and I used an option called something like "Reset to Secure Mode".

I didn't realise it was working until I boot into Linux and it was suddenly offering me WiFi networks. Went back into Windows and noticed it was there in Device Manager but disabled. Re-enabled it and it was all good. I suspect the CMOS reset did it but I hadn't noticed as it was disabled.

idata
Employee

Hello Twinnie,

We are glad to know the issue was resolved. BTW, thanks for sharing your solution, we are sure this will be very useful for other users as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos