Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Scaling/Custom Resolution issues with Optimus System

BButl5
Beginner

Ever since I got my new laptop I've had nothing but problems with the Intel Graphics. The new GUI is absolutely terrible; it's incredibly dumbed down and you can't even do near to half as much as you could with the old GUI. I tried installing the old GUI, but I can't find it, I thought I did, but I just installed an older version of this new junk system.

Issues:

• Custom Resolutions don't work
  • There's no 720p option even though the built in monitor's default resolution is 1080p which should scale just fine.
  • Scaling doesn't seem to work
  • Sometimes when just browsing sites on Google Chrome, everything will flicker and then go back to normal and all videos/images/media will be black until I refresh the pages

I am NOT using an external monitor. I've been trying to play games in the Battlefield series, but every one I launch starts out without being scaled.. So I can't play in 720p in any of them, and my system doesn't perform very well in 1080p for games like that. I just want things to work, if someone can help me, that would be great. Things were perfect with the old GUI.. Why change it? Yes the new GUI looks better, but it doesn't do nearly as much as you can do with the old one. Or maybe you can, but for some reason I can't do things as easily as I could back then.

New GUI:

Old GUI:

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Brendon

Thanks for your feedback on the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. We are constantly working to improve user experience with GUI and user feedback is important.

I have a couple of questions regarding your specific issue.

1. Can you provide details of your system, make, model, CPU, etc.

2. What version of the Intel HD Graphics driver are you currently using?

3. What games are you seeing issues with?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
BButl5
Beginner

1. It's the Lenovo U530 Touch. Using the core i7 4510u (I'm pretty sure).

2. I had the latest version, but I tried downgrading and it didn't help.

3. The games I'm having trouble with are the Battlefield games. I'm sure there are other games that experience this problem, but I'm not sure. Older games seem to be perfectly okay (games from like 2008-2010).

Sorry for the late reply, I just realized I got an email. Hopefully there's a fix for this scaling issue.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Thanks Brendon for the additional information. I found on the http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/u-series/u530-touch/# tab-tech_specs Lenovo support site the the U530 Touch only supports the following resolutions on the internal display.

Display / Resolution
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) display with 10-point multitouch, 16:9 widescreen
  • 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) display with 10-point multitouch, 16:9 widescreen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p 720p HD by definition is 1280x720 resolution. I cannot find any information that the U530 will support 1280x720 on the internal display.

For the flickering issue with Chrome*, Is this the only app that exposes the issue? Do you have the latest Chrome updates?

Also, could you generate and attach a DXDiag report for your system?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
BButl5
Beginner

I managed to get the custom resolution 720p to work, and since the screen is natively 1080p it works fine, but that's not really my issue. Most games I play in 720p will fit to screen, but when I play Battlefield games, the game just wont scale.. It will stay centered with a black border around it.. Any idea on how to fix that? Thanks.

Also, it would just be a major hassle to change my resolution to 720p to play a game, and then change it back to just do every-day stuff.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Brendon

Thanks for the additional information. We are investing the Battlefield issue and will report back to this thread as we have updates.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Brenden

We have identified the cause of the issue and a resolution for it. I will update this thread when we post a driver with the resolution to Download Center.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos