Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Intel G45 Express chipset compatability

idata
Employee

I just got a new computer, and I have the G45 express chipset, but I hear that isn't very good for gaming. It's integrated, and I was wondering if installing a new graphics card would be a hassle? So my main three questions are-

1. What do I have to do to run both the G45 express chipset and another video card?

2. If it's not possible to run both, how can I get a better video card in and take out/disable the G45?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for a video card that is better than the G45 for gaming, and preferably <130-150 dollars.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

You can't run both, if you install another it will override it and you can't remove an internal graphics card.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Btw you might want to look at this post, I find the 4500 ok for low gaming with the last lot of drivers: /thread/8059?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/8059?tstart=0

idata
Employee

So if I were to go out and buy a new card, I could just plug it into the PCI slot without any extra hardware?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

nVidia indicates the onboard graphics should be disabled in a very old FAQ. This can be done in Device Manager before installing a graphics card. Intel only indicates that the detection can be set in the BIOS. Most graphics cards still available would give better scores but not necessarily DirectX 10 and shader model 4.0. I imagine some of those features are now being implemented. Onboard graphics is supposed to be available for other monitors so 3, or 4 with a dongle, could be used provided sufficient system memory and a power supply powerful enough for the graphics is available. The G45 can do a lot of gaming at moderate settings.

0 Kudos