Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel q965 with dual monitors and aero

idata
Employee

I just recently installed Windows 7 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 745 which has the on board q965 controller. This supports dual monitors via a dongle. Windows Aero Glass works until I extend my desktop to the second monitor and then it reverts back to Aero Basic.

Is this a known issue or a bug in the driver? Does anyone else have a similiar setup with aero glass enabled?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
31 Replies
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

There is no way to answer without knowing the size and resolutions of your monitors and the graphics system. Best performance will always be with matching monitors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have two matching Dell 1907FPT LCD monitors purchased at the same time. Each is set to 1024 x 768 with 32 bit color and 75 hz refresh rate. The graphics system is the onbard video card that comes on the Dell Optiplex 745 ultra small form factor featuring the Intel Q965 chipset which has a max of 256 MB of video RAM. I set the driver to use the maximum amount of ram possible.

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

There is another post here about two monitors you should find that seems BIOS related. Your system is older and I think memory may be limiting. Win 7 will require more system RAM so I personally wouldn't run with less than 6GB (for Virtual PC etc). Your total available video RAM should be more than 256 MB. Check the system information for the total. I tested enough configurations to decide I wouldn't run non-matching monitors. Did the dongle work with dual screen mode before?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have virtually the same setup. Same Dell model, same monitors. Win7 x64. 4gig system memory (which should be plenty, there's no way running aero on dual monitors requires 6 gig system ram). 256meg video memory, which is the max possible for the GMA3000/Q965/Q963 chipset in windows 7. Latest intel drivers (8.15.10.1912). I tried manually installing the 8.16.x.x drivers for win7 x64, but they refuse to install, saying my system doesn't meet min specs. BIOS is upgraded to Dell's latest, all virtualization settings in BIOS turned off (I think that is a red herring, related to a different problem. First monitor is hooked up via DVI to the DVI daughterboard, second monitor is hooked up to the VGA port.

In single monitor mode, aero works, switch to dual monitor and it doesn't work. If you try running the aero troubleshooter wizard, you see aero flicker on for a moment, then turn off again. The trouble seems to be that dwm.exe is crashing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the exact same problem with the same setup. DVI/VGA. Worked in Vista 32. Does not work with Win7 x64. I have 6GB of memory and the same model of computer and card. In single mode it works, in clone mode it does, in extended mode it doesn't. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

I should have left my Vista 32 system as is and converted the other to Win 7. Vista x64 performance is better than 32 bit, but Win 7 is clearly better for power management. I opted for a 512 MB 9600GT since I expect that to be enough for 2D business apps but the DG45ID/4500 alots over 1GB system RAM (Sys Info > Components> Display) and the 965/3100 graphics alots about 448 MB adapter RAM. This should matter little for startup since no apps are running, except for resume from computer Sleep. As suggested elsewhere for Sleep problems, turn off Virtualization. Also try removing the timed sleep and do it manually. Also try using only the Microsoft Composite battery instead of the UPS software if you have it. Graphics card drivers have not helped my x64 problems and I don't currently use multiple monitors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So is Intel planning to fix up Q965 support for dual monitor aero on W7 at all? Seems that an old Vista driver works but that is hardly support. At least come out with some statement about support geez

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

Only minimal drivers for Vista (BIOS, chipset) were provided for the 915GEV and I doubt Win7 for 965 will differ. I've pretty much given up on OS updating of computers. Older printer drivers seem to work with Win 7 but they are being updated. Win 7 hibernation is much better and faster than Vista but I won't be changing my habit of saving. On my third use of hibernation with an application open, the computer restarted with an improper shutdown alert. Perhaps I interacted too quickly. My monitor sleeps after resume under Vista64 (DG45ID GMA4500) but not Win 7 x64 (DG45ID with a 9600GT silent/195.62). Power timing settings and memory management are probably issues and most likely also affect dual monitors.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Did you try this driver? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18232&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18232&lang=eng It is the latest G965 driver for Windows 7.

Keep in mind if you have a OEM (Dell) customized driver on your system this driver will not overwrite it. That is by design to protect the OEM customizations. If you are will to take the risk and loose any customizations for your system you can install the Intel driver using the have disk method. I would recommend saving a restore point before proceeding so you can revert back to previous settings if you are not satisfied with the results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I've been using the 8.15.10.1930 for a while now with Win7 x64. No luck with Aero. If I am only using one monitor, I can turn on Aero. If I extend the desktop to 2 monitors, Aero shuts down. If I try to re-enable, it flickers on for a half second, then turns off again. It appears to be an exception being thrown. Window's Aero troubleshooter seems to think the driver and card are capable of Aero, because it does attempt to turn it on, and you can even see it on for a moment, but then it crashes.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Does the issue occur with either monitor set as "Primary Device" ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert - I just tested it and yes it happens with either monitor set as the primary.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hmmm,,, this is interesting. I am running a GM965 (Laptop) system with Windows 7 32 and the 1930 driver and do not see any issues. It appears that this is a 64 bit issue only. Let me look into this more.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oo, spooky. I tried switch primary displays, by using the Intel context menu (Graphic Options->Output To->Extended Desktop->Monitor + Digital Display). And then tried the aero troubleshooting, and aero actually worked for a bit. I could actually see the glass outlines around the windows.

But my background image disappeared. So I tried reapplying my theme, and *crash* desktop window manager went down again. And now, I can't seem to make it work again. I've been trying to switch primary displays from the Intel menu, from the display settings, swapping the order of the displays, changing themes...I can't get aero back now. Wierd.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

Driver installation and changes of configuration should be monitored in the registry. Although Intel maintains that one default monitor should result, it is possible to get multiple monitors that function correctly. However any extraneous monitors will mess up the configuration and require reinstallation which will probably never get the desired (Intel) registry.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been using those drivers since I installed Windows 7 and before I originally posted.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same for me: 8.15.10.1930. Same problem as described above.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

We just tried Windows 7 64 bit on an G965 system and do not see the issue. Aero is fully functional in both extended desktop and dual display clone.

You mentioned that dual displays is supported on your system via a dongle,, can you tell me more about the dongle?

idata
Employee

My system is a Dell Optiplex 745. This system has two video ports: The motherboard has a VGA port, and then I have a daughter pci card that adds a DVI port. Currently, the DVI port is my "main" monitor, but I've tried it both ways.

Each time I try to enable aero, it seems that dwm.exe crashes. There is a message in the windows event log: "The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x88980406)"