I am building a system with the following specs:

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 2.93GHz Wolfdale CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L Mobo
  • Gigabyte ATI GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 Graphics Card

• OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU
  • OCZ Titanium XMP PC9200 DDR2 1150MHz Dual Channel 4GB (2x2GB) RAM
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATAII 750GB Hard Drive
  • Lite-On SATAII DVD-RW

I'm trying to install Windows 7 x64. Computer POSTs fine and begins installation (copies files and begins extraction). As soon as the systems starts the installation (first screen after it say Windows with the small green bar below it - I think it's the Policy Acceptance screen) the video is all scrambled and I can't see anything but garbage. I've tried using 2 other sets of Kingston RAM (changing settings in BIOS as they were 533MHz & 800MHz sets - they are only 512MBx2), a different graphics card (Gigabyte nVidia GV-N210OC-512I), differnt PSU (Thermaltake W0070RUC 430W) and just exchanged the mobo for a new one. I have the OCZ memory set to run at 1033MHz, 5-5-5-1 & 2.2v (settings are per the manufacturer).

Now is it possible that this issue would be caused by a bad CPU or perhaps because of the changed setting for the RAM in the BIOS that I need to change a setting for the CPU? When running the other sets of RAM I change the BIOS settings to AUTO and they run at 533/800 accordingly.

I've been messing around with this system for about 4 weeks (ordering a new graphics card & power supply and exchanging the mobo). It's taken me so long to get this far, I would have to exchange the processor now with Intel as the 30 days is up from the retailer. I'm really hoping it's just a setting in the BIOS.

Please Help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Can you check something:

1) It seems that mobo doesn"t support the E6500 (it is strange but..)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2993

so have you try to install another OS?

2) What about the media for the Windows : Is it a DVD (RC or RTM) . I have got few trouble with RC downloaded and burn onto a DVD.

Have you tried to install it on another computer?

Regards

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

According to Gigabyte's website, that mobo supports the E6500 chip (support using BIOS version F4 - mine has the latest version F6).

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2995# anchor_os

It is an OEM DVD and it worked 100% fine when I tested it by installing it on an older system (the one that this new system is supposed to replace).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the info. I was missing the line in cpu support list!

Thats make make me checking the bios history for that mobo: they have updated to F7a (beta bios): perhaps It's a chance!

Other point about installing process. have you tryed out to copy on ausb flash disk ? (on the systems I have got trouble installing the DVD, I could solve it booting onto an extra hard disk with the W7 on it - very quick)

0 Kudos