Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14540 Discussions

New computer, what is my temperature supposed to be?

idata
Employee

Hi guys, picked up a new laptop for school earlier this week. Loving it so far, its an LG R580 with an intel core 2 duo T6500 processor, NVIDIA Geforce G105M, 4GB DDR2 ram etc..

I've been googling all day but cannot find a definitive answer to my question. What temperature should my cores be at idle?

As of this posting my cores are at 53 degrees celsius, GPU is at 46C.

The cores have reached upwards of 55 when I wasnt really even doing anything.

I had a browser window open with a couple tabs, no video or media streaming, no music playing at all.

Upon bootup my cores are probably around 40 degrees celsius, under no heavy load & within an hour it'll be a little above 50C

I dont recall going over 60C so far, however HWMonitor says my max was 61C

Should I be worrying at all? Googling earlier I've read that some intel core 2 duo processors idle around 45C. Perhaps it varies by model and mine happens to run warmer than others?

Any help is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

Short answer is no you don't have to worry.

Let alone the possibility of every model of CPU being slightly different with idle and loads temps, each CPU from teh same model can differ, then ytou have to add the fact that it is relative to the situationit is in..ie if you really wanted to compare your cpu temps, you would have to dso it with the same model in the same laptop.

Anyways you don't have to wrry, if it gets too hot the CPU will soon let you know by shutting down, then you could have a problem. Anywyas according to spec finder the maxz temp is about 100 see:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLGF4

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply! =)

But would my temperatures be considered normal?

55C seems a little warm when I am just internet browsing

Also worth mentioning, my touchpad gets quite warm, as well as pretty much the entire palm rest area

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

I wouldn't worry. A laptop is designed to run quite hot as this saves power cooling it. 50 degress or more is hot to us, but to a piece of silicon it is still quite chilly

I've had laptops that haven't spun a fan until the processor reached 70 degrees in order to save energy and be quiet.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos