cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim function works well on Linux/Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For those waiting for an updated TRIM enabled firmware for their x25-m 80gb g2 postville:

I flashed my drive and am trimming away!

If you track the conversation from here onwards you should be all set: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60882&page=10

1) download hdparm 9.27

2) make, make install

3) apply the latest patch mentioned in the thread above as presented on page 10 by danekl

4) copy wiper.sh to usr/local/bin

5) run from terminal: sudo wiper.sh --commit / or sudo wiper.sh --commit /dev/sdaN (where sdaN is your ssd)

BTW, this is not real TRIM but gives the same effect. I run this each time at system start up.

Skip Windows, go Ubuntu!

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's good news.

The big companies like Intel and Microsoft need to come out of their cave mentality. They thrive own their intellectual engineering thinking that no one else but them can come up with engineering solutions that will benefit the masses. For Intel this is readily evident, in their lack of providing even a minimal of of help to their users and the tight-lip on how their SSDs work in general. Anandtech took their drives apart and they did a excellent job of explaining how the Intel drive works without Intel's help. Shame on Intel.

It's going to take Microsoft and the vendors probably a year to get TRIM working harmoniously without data loss. The Linux and the Unix brethren will have things working in months. The proof is in your post. As I said before in another thread Microsoft did not design Win7 to optimize the use of SSDs. Their tactic was purely "hype" and as usual people fell for it and are now surely disappointed with its implementation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

FYI. here's the putput I get:

[Sat Nov 21 21:06:56 CET 2009] trim starting

wiper.sh: Linux SATA SSD TRIM utility, version 2.5, by Mark Lord.

Preparing for online TRIM of free space on /dev/sda1 (ext4 mounted read-write at /).Creating temporary file (65301988 KB).. Syncing disks.. Beginning TRIM operations..

/dev/sda:

trimming 30195709 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 31358977 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 31293442 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 31457280 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 6298568 sectors from 104 rangessucceededRemoving temporary file..Syncing disks.. Done. [Sat Nov 21 21:07:16 CET 2009] trim finished

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

really nice to hear. i'm new to ssds and therefore pretty unsure how to handle my x25-m g2. i opened two threads, maybe someone could give me an advice please:

- http://communities.intel.com/thread/8419

- http://sourceforge.net/projects/hdparm/forums/forum/461704/topic/3466536

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

blackSP,

I tried it and i'm having no success. Downloaded from sourceforge.net the hdparm 9.27 source which included wiper.sh. I'm using 9.10 32 bit PAE mode on a Macbook pro 5,2. 6 GB memory. Gives me an error message cannot open file. I put some debug statements in the program to see how big the WIPEFILE is and it is huge. It fills the remainder of the drive space. What i'm doing wrong? I didn't apply the patch also?.

Appreciate any help.