Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

does the intel processor set on top of the socket pins or do they go into the processor

dmalo
Beginner

...I have only installed three processors in new builds and this time the processor did not seat properly and when I tried to close the lever I noticed it was hard to close, so I took the processor back out and there were some bent pins in one of the inside corners of the socket, and I think the pins were slightly bent before I put the processor in. I do not see any damage to the bottom of the processor, so my questions are:

1. Do you think the processor is still usable when I get the motherboard back with a new socket?

2. Does the processor just sit on top of the socket pins, or do the pins go into the processor? (I did not see any holes in the bottom of the processor, only contact points...)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. Since you didn't power up the board while the processor was in the misaligned position in the socket, it should not have been damaged and should work ok (with a undamaged board (socket)).
  2. The processor is just sitting on the pins. The pins are essentially "spring loaded" so that they maintain good contact with the processor.

Hope this help,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
  1. Since you didn't power up the board while the processor was in the misaligned position in the socket, it should not have been damaged and should work ok (with a undamaged board (socket)).
  2. The processor is just sitting on the pins. The pins are essentially "spring loaded" so that they maintain good contact with the processor.

Hope this help,

...S

dmalo
Beginner

...thanks Scott, Gigabyte is going to replace the socket for $45 USD so I am on hold with this build, it is my first "gamer" complete build, I feel like a real noob for not checking the pins before trying to install the cpu, so 45 bucks seems like a small price to pay for my "idiocy" ... LOL

Thanks for your expertise,

...den

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can check the following video for processor integration information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/desktop-processors/000017400.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/desktop-processors/000017400.html

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do let me know if you need further assistance with your Intel product, I will be glad to assist you.

Allan.
0 Kudos